Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: NASA & THE SHUTTLE.......

Post Thanks / Like

Default NASA & THE SHUTTLE.......

NASA Says Foam Insulation Flew Off Shuttle
    July 27, 2005 4:49 PM EDT
    SPACE CENTER, Houston - NASA said Wednesday that the mysterious object that came flying off the shuttle Discovery's fuel tank during liftoff was a sizable chunk of foam insulation - the very thing that doomed Columbia.

But this time, fortunately, it didn't hit the spacecraft.

Space agency officials also said that a chipped thermal tile on Discovery's belly does not appear to be a danger, and it cautioned the public against overreacting to every speck of damage sustained by the shuttle during liftoff.

NASA expected some debris to fall off during launch. The big question is whether any of it will mean a risk to the crew. The answer is still a few days away, NASA said one day after the ship blasted off on the first shuttle mission since the Columbia tragedy 2 1/2 years ago.

Flight director Paul Hill said it is understandable that people inside and outside the space agency might be alarmed by any hint of damage to Discovery's thermal shielding.

"The last flight ended in catastrophe and we lost seven friends of ours because of damage," Hill said at a news conference. But he added: "We don't make decisions in spaceflight based on that type of emotion. We make decisions in spaceflight based on the data, and we're looking at the data."

And based on what they have seen so far, NASA engineers believe the broken tile is "not going to be an issue," Hill said.

Imagery experts and engineers expect to know by Thursday afternoon whether the gouge left by the missing 1 1/2-inch piece of thermal tile needs a second look or, in the worst case, a repair, Hill said. The astronauts have a 100-foot, laser-tipped crane on board that could determine precisely how deep the gouge is.

The tile fragment broke off less than two minutes after liftoff Tuesday and was spotted by a camera mounted on the external fuel tank. It fell off a particularly vulnerable spot, near the set of doors for the nose landing gear.

Multiple cameras also captured the chunk of foam flying off the tank but missing the shuttle. It broke away from a different part of the tank than the piece that mortally wounded Columbia by striking its wing. After the accident, the tank was redesigned to reduce the risk of foam insulation falling off.

If NASA decides to use its new inspection tool to get a 3-D view of the tile damage, the astronauts will examine the spot on Friday, a day after docking with the international space station.

On Wednesday, Discovery's astronauts spent nearly six hours using the boom to inspect Discovery's wings and nose cap for launch damage. The wings and nose are protected by reinforced carbon panels capable of taking the brunt of the searing re-entry heat.

Hill said he saw nothing immediately alarming during the laser inspection, which had been planned long before any damage to Discovery was detected. But NASA's experts have yet to fully analyze the images.

The inspection was conducted in extra-slow motion, a mere three feet per minute, to give engineers a good long look. The boom came within five feet of the shuttle's wings and nose cap.

The astronauts had to be careful not to bang the equipment into the fragile thermal panels and cause the kind of disaster the boom was designed to prevent. The task required such precision that three of the astronauts took turns performing the grueling job.

NASA should have a better grasp of the tile damage after the two space station residents photograph the approaching Discovery on Thursday. Discovery will do a slow back flip 600 feet out, so the station astronauts can zoom in on the shuttle's belly. This unprecedented maneuver was also planned long before the flight.

The photos taken from the space station should be so good that "you will almost be able to read the serial numbers on the tiles," Hill said.

After that, if the imagery experts and engineers want even more data on the broken tile, Hill said, "then by God we're going to take the (boom) down and we're going to get them more data and that data are going to look like they were sitting right there in front of the tile with their hands on it, it's going to be so good."

NASA does not expect to make a final decision until Sunday or so on whether Discovery can safely return to Earth. That is how long it will take to analyze all the data from the more than 100 cameras that tracked the liftoff, scores of sensors embedded in the shuttle wings, the laser inspection, and pictures from space.

Top NASA managers have stressed for months that they would probably see more debris than usual falling from Discovery simply because they would be looking harder this time.

Hill also reminded reporters that space shuttles have frequently landed with tile damage over the past 24 years. The seriousness depends on how deep the gouges are and how thick the tile is in the affected area, he said.

Deputy shuttle program manager Wayne Hale portrayed the current analysis as vastly superior to what took place during Columbia's mission in 2003. A chunk of fuel-tank foam insulation pierced Columbia's wing at liftoff and left a plate-size hole that proved fatal during re-entry two weeks later.

"A few people looked at the pictures, a few people ran some small analysis that wasn't grounded in much real science and came to the wrong conclusion," Hale said. This time, he said, hundreds of people are examining every frame of the video, and NASA management is focusing on whether the shuttle is safe to return.

---

On the Net:

NASA: http://spaceflight.nasa.gov

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nasa

I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't trust these people to
    change my oil or change a flat tire, let alone strap into a guided missile
    they built!
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J White
    I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't trust these people to
    change my oil or change a flat tire, let alone strap into a guided missile
    they built!
    I'd have to agree with that, Mr. White. I heard another little jewel since I posted this news clip. The shuttle program will be shut down again on the return (hopefully) of the shuttle, which will undoubtedly mean the shutdown of the N.O. facility in LA. After almost three years it would seem they could have gotten the bugs ironed out enough that the foam insulation wouldn't be coming apart on lift-off. They also minimized the danger of the small piece of the heat shield that came off the shuttle. IMHO, there are too many errors to risk the lives of those that have willingly volunteered and trained for the flight. The space program is an intrigueging concept, and is also needed in the study of planets for exploration and possible colonization.....but I will never forget the sight of the Columbia blazing in the sky with all the people inside it. I guess they all knew the risk involved, but it's still a shame that it happened, and I felt the horror of the families of those in the shuttle. I pray the Discovery delivers those trusting people safely back to the blue planet.
    I quote...."NASA expected some debris to fall off during launch. The big question is whether any of it will mean a risk to the crew.".........They will be in my prayers.

Post Thanks / Like

Default risky business

Yes sir, I have my fingers crossed for a safe return for them also.
    I have watched some TV shows about just how risky those early
    space missions were back in the '60s - Man, they were playing
    Russian Roulette just getting off the pad... Of course, a now deceased
    neighbor of mine used to get fighting mad, saying the whole thing was a
    hoax and that we never went to the moon
    Last edited by J White; 07-28-2005 at 04:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea that rumor was going around. But then those rumor never could explain how we were bouncing laser beams off the equipment on the moon that was left up there by the astronauts on one of their missions to the moon. To this day you can see the reflectors up on the moon. If not for those reflectors the beams would not bounce back to earth and we would not be able to constantly meaure the distance to the moon with laser beams like we do today.

NASA has some of the best and brightest American's Working with the space program. Those guys are much smarter and brighter than most of us. These guys are the real rocket scientists and I admire what they do.

In fact we have one of them here with us today on crappie.com. I think that cane pole worked on the moon's rover back in his younger days.

If you think that his robo boat and fishing robot is cool you should see the moon rover in action on the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by J White
    Yes sir, I have my fingers crossed for a safe return for them also.
    I have watched some TV shows about just how risky those early
    space missions were back in the '60s - Man, they were playing
    Russian Roulette just getting off the pad... Of course, a now deceased
    neighbor of mine used to get fighting mad, saying the whole thing was a
    hoax and that we never went to the moon
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

NASA has some of the best and brightest American's Working with the space program. Those guys are much smarter and brighter than most of us. These guys are the real rocket scientists and I admire what they do.

I don't doubt there are a bunch of high IQ's working on it, but my
    slanted view as a tool and die guy is that you give an engineer these
    days a nut and a bolt, they will analyze it for days, do a bunch of 6 Sigma
    stuff on it, and then cross thread it putting it together, then insist that
    is the way it goes... smarter, in a booksmart way yes, brighter is yet to
    be determined, in my opinion.