Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: E-10 gas

Post Thanks / Like

Default E-10 gas

Has anybody had any proplems with this modern e10 gas in small motors under 20hp? I have heard that if you store the motor for a few months even if you drain all of the gas it will still gum up the carb. Any thoughts?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We have been on E-10 for over 10 years now. I have 2 vehicles, boat, 2 lawn mowers, whacker, tiller, generator, blower, chain saw, and a pressure washer. All still run just fine.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with E10....people add too many storage products to it.

Which is normally alcohol of some sort.

This will then cause problems.

I have pulled apart complete fuel systems for this reason...that had sat over winter.

I spoke with Mercury on this issue.

The fix. Drain the carb of fuel...then blow pressurized air into the drain hole. This should force air through all the jets and clean them for storage.

The Marine Doctor

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I have a 2007 9.9 that had to have its carb completely replaced as it was to eat up by alcohol to be rebuilt. I still have the carb and the inside is full of white stuff that cannot be removed from all little holes.
    This is a 4 stroke suzuki. I now pull the hose off the engine and burn all the gas till it cuts itself off and use the green stabil for E10 gas AND I store gas in tank only 3 weeks, any longer and I put it in my truck and let tank dry out.
    My yamaha 2 stroke 9.9 carb. is simple to clean and rebuild so it is not much of an issue.