Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: on board charger HELP

Post Thanks / Like

Smile on board charger HELP

I just talked to the service dept and he said that after 4 hours the BPS 5 goes into a float cycle. My question what amps is the float cycle. and can it go into the float cycle too soon and not really have a full charge??????? Even if the Lets Go Fishing lights is on?????

Post Thanks / Like

Talking charger

Check batt, voltage and if you have 13.3 volts you are ok. I use either one of my depth finders to check voltage.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

A charger won't go into float after a specified time. The charger goes into float mode when it detects the battery is drawing so little current that it is fully charged. Then the charger switches to float mode, which is when the charger limits the charge to less than 1A to avoid boiling the battery. Float mode is accompanied by the green/ready light on the charger.

If you operate something that uses power, or the battery is losing charge too quickly due to age, the battery will again switch to absorption mode and the green/ready light will go out until the battery reaches full charge.

When the battery is bad, it will usually draw too much current, so the charger never switches to float mode. This usually results in the battery boiling dry because as far as the charger knows it still isn't charged. When that happens, people often mistakenly believe that the charger killed the battery, but that is pretty unusual.
    Last edited by CatFan; 03-19-2009 at 02:44 PM.