Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question from a newbie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question from a newbie

I'm new to the forum and wanted to start by saying hello and ask a few questions. I am fairly new to fishing for crappie (used to go with the grands when I was a young boy), so I hope you all will be patient with me if I ask stupid questions.

Anyway my question is concerning putting out crappie cover (condos, etc.). I live close to a small lake with one creek running into it (other than the main river) and a few small coves. I was wandering where would be the best place to put the condos, how deep, and how many to string together, how far apart and so forth. I was considering around the creek ledges close to the main river channel and maybe a few of the coves.

The problem with this lake is that it receives a great deal of boating traffic from pleasure riding and water sports and if you try to fish around the main river channel in the summer, you will get run over.

Post Thanks / Like

Wellcome to crappie .com Hooked. There's folks more knowledgable then I am on answering your ? concerning where to put your attractors. So I'll leave it up to them. However just about lake I know of is getting churned up with the pleasure boaters and jet ski's. THe only answer I know of there is get out early and late in the summer. Lake goodness in a month or so the lakes will be the fishermen's again.

Beagler

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone says to go fishing early to beat the pleasure boaters. I was washed away by someone skiing at 7:30 this morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker
    Everyone says to go fishing early to beat the pleasure boaters. I was washed away by someone skiing at 7:30 this morning.
    Welcome aboard. This is a great place, and there is a lot of good advice
    on here. Here's some maybe not-so-good advice for the skiers...
    Keep a flipping stick with hi-vis line and a Zara Spook or DD22 tied on
    it - when they get close to you, CHUNK! And a boat paddle just in case
    you connect - so they will hold still while you get your lure back.
    Last edited by J White; 07-26-2005 at 05:06 PM.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Default come on in

Welcome to the board, I’m sure you will be able to find an answer to all your crappie fishing questions. I also hope that you will be willing to share what knowledge and experience that you may have. So come on in and pull up a chair and enjoy, we are always glad to add a new friend.

may your livewells stay full, and your rods stay bent.

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J White
    Welcome aboard. This is a great place, and there is a lot of good advice
    on here. Here's some maybe not-so-good advice for the skiers...
    Keep a flipping stick with hi-vis line and a Zara Spook or DD22 tied on
    it - when they get close to you, CHUNK! And a boat paddle just in case
    you connect - so they will hold still while you get your lure back.

LOL!!!! That is too funny. My step dad used to do that to ALL boaters when we used to fish from the bank. They would come trolling by real close to the bank where we were fishing and he would real in and try to hit them. Then cuss at them......At the age of 13 I thought that was the funniest thing....Don't know that I would do it....but at the time it was funny.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an artical about crappie hotels if you are interested. Contact me at Smminnow@aol and I will send it to you.(subject, crappie hotels) Good fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Hooked! Glad to have you here. There's a wealth of information here for you to consider. Go and click on "search" and type in condos or hotels and you'll find lots of info on this board. Go down to the Alabama board and drop in there as well. Lot's of good people.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOOKED
    I'm new to the forum and wanted to start by saying hello and ask a few questions. I am fairly new to fishing for crappie (used to go with the grands when I was a young boy), so I hope you all will be patient with me if I ask stupid questions.

Anyway my question is concerning putting out crappie cover (condos, etc.). I live close to a small lake with one creek running into it (other than the main river) and a few small coves. I was wandering where would be the best place to put the condos, how deep, and how many to string together, how far apart and so forth. I was considering around the creek ledges close to the main river channel and maybe a few of the coves.

The problem with this lake is that it receives a great deal of boating traffic from pleasure riding and water sports and if you try to fish around the main river channel in the summer, you will get run over.
    check out this website: J&J Habitat.com I have used these attractors and they work very well for crappie. I have used them in coves and in the main part of the water where noone would think about fishing. This guy was giving away free samples if you email him. Worth a try!

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

hooked i am planning on puting some in a small lake a little under 10,000 acors . not deep maby 15 ft. the river channel is 20 to 50 ft. deep mostley 20 to 30 . i will put short ones next to river channel and some tall ones in the channel . they will have to be 5 ft or shorter from full pool as they draw the lake down 4 ft. every other year . . there are some on the bord that knowes more . go to ga. or alabama forum . mostley ga. falconsmitty lives on lake harding and is a fairley shollow lake on the ga. alabama line and have put out a bunch of condoes . do a search 0n condoes at the top . you will see picks and some info. on them .
    retired and now i will always fish