Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hopewell 18 March 09

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hopewell 18 March 09

Left the house at 0530 and headed up the highway to the mighty James River once again on our weekly trip away from the salty sea of the bay.

Launched at mean high tide and set the net for some cutters......after a 45 minute down JP to get bait in the FOG - Tony threw the cast net several times until the net had soaked long enough for the days bait.....Chris (Stonewall) was gonna be upriver but too far away to take him any bait so we didnt need but a dozen or so and
    they were gathered in 1/2 hour or so....along with a 14 pound carp in the cast net.....what a hog it was......CPR'd and released it......I ran the boat up in about 10 inches of water and plowed mud like I was digg'en tators someplace in Suffolk instead of HERRING Creek !

FOG FOG FOG .......out on the river was so so so bad we dilly dabbled along.....so we didnt get hit by a Tug or ran over by a Tanker......

First drop off we fish Doug got a 16 pounder and second fish of his life
    was a 46 1/2......I JUST LOVE IT WHEN A NEWBIE SEE THAT BIG HAWG ROLL ON TOP OF THE WATER......

Caught several more (eaters) there and moved up river but never made it all the way to Dutch Gap.....stopped at a new place I never tried before
    and HOOKED UP big time on a 52 pounder.....kissed,hugged and stroked
    and set her free to back where she came from-released......

Back near the JP bridge we ended the day with several more but no whopping big fish.......

I got the pics loaded so they can tell the rest of the story.....

VIRGINIA GAMEFISH TAGGING PROGRAM MEMBER

Post Thanks / Like

NICE ! but it sure was foggy to be out...............

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch!!! Congrats on a good day. I hope I can get back down that way and hook into some of those big cats!!! :D
    Blake

Post Thanks / Like

Great pictures! That first fish (carp) is what I catch when I go catfishing. Those are some dandy looking bluecats, WTG!
    The heavens declare the glory of God and the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Psalm 19:1

Post Thanks / Like

you got them big cats dowm pat racn. nice job
    Never take the advice of someone who has not had your kind of trouble!