Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Power Trim Bleeding Down

Post Thanks / Like

Default Power Trim Bleeding Down

I just bought a 1997 Mercury 40 hp tiller handle outboard with power tilt/trim. The tilt works fine moving the motor up and down but when the motor is trimmed all the way up it will slowly lower all the way down. Has anyone ever experienced this problem? I suspect the Hyrdaullic pump not an elecrical problem because the motor will raise and lower. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ryan

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You have a manual relief valve on that so you can lower the motor in an emergency. They sometimes get loose or the "O" rings on them get worn and cause that problem. Check it and make sure its not loose.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN View Post
    You have a manual relief valve on that so you can lower the motor in an emergency. They sometimes get loose or the "O" rings on them get worn and cause that problem. Check it and make sure its not loose.
    And if you find that ok, its probably the seal in the cylinder bad and letting fluid by-pass.

Post Thanks / Like

the manual valve also acts as a bleeder valve just in case you have gotten air into the system this happened to me and i just used the valve to bleed the system and added a little fluid with the engine lowered
    "If in this life you have a good wife, at least one good dog, 1 good horse, 1 great fishing boat and a decent truck to pull it with and enough sense to know which is the most important then you have truly been blessed."

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2fshmore View Post
    the manual valve also acts as a bleeder valve just in case you have gotten air into the system this happened to me and i just used the valve to bleed the system and added a little fluid with the engine lowered
    That varies with motors. Mercury T&Ts are self bleeding. You just raise and lower it several times.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

There should be 3 orings on the manual release valve.

Sometimes the tip breaks off...so there are only 2.

When you take it out...oil WILL come out.

The Marine Doctor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Needle Seat

I Had An Omc That Was Doing That And There Was A Always Impossible To See Little Chip Out Of The Needle Valve And It Would Let The Fluid Leak By.......
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

I have a johnson 50 hp that does that, but you can hear a clicking sound everyfew seconds. i wonder is this a easy fix. it drives me nuts to raise the motor only to have it work its way back down !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiejigger View Post
    I have a johnson 50 hp that does that, but you can hear a clicking sound everyfew seconds. i wonder is this a easy fix. it drives me nuts to raise the motor only to have it work its way back down !!!!
    See if the clicking is coming from one of the relays. You may have a bad switch.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va