Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wounded Warriors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wounded Warriors

Hey fellas, I wanted to let you guys know about a program I'm involved with called Wounded Warriors. I work part-time as a hunting/fishing guide at a plantation near my house and I talked my boss into letting me take some wounded warriors on some free guided trips.

Wounded Warriors is a program for guides across the country to donate their time to take some of our ex-servicemembers who were wounded in battle on fishing and hunting trips.

First up for my day was some a group of guys who served in Iraq and Afghanistan over the past few years. They're all disabled veterans with varying degrees of injuries sustained while in combat. I took this group quail/chukar hunting this morning. Most had never quail hunted before and they enjoyed watching the dogs work and they shot surprisingly well after getting them warmed up on sporting clays. The guy on the right side of the picture that is looking straight at the camera has two artificial legs...

Next up was a little fishing for this guy named Chris. I'm normally a catfish guide but I found some largemouth bass staging for the spawn and I got him to pitch some lures their way...

I had a blast taking these guys out in the field and on the water and giving back to them. If you guys have the opportunity to get involved in the Wounded Warriors program, you won't be disappointed. Those guys will love it and you'll love doing it for them.
    Last edited by bcgamecock; 03-18-2009 at 07:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for what you are doing for these guys. My brother is a wounded warrior himself. Lost both legs in Iraq, it means a lot to these guys to have these opportunities. Thanks Again.

Post Thanks / Like

It's about time to read a positive concerning some of the wounded soldiers. I'm sure they had a great time, that lake looks awesome.
    Fishin' fills the time until College football season

Post Thanks / Like

My best to your brother randall. Being a wounded warrior myself, it means quite a bit to me to be able to do this for these guys. I'm far more fortunate than most of these guys and am thankful for that. If you don't mind my asking, do you know where your brother was injured? My bad luck took place in the mountainous region of Afghanistan 7 years ago next month.

You can do a google search on "wounded warriors program" in your brother's area and find a group nearby that would be glad to take him out hunting or fishing. They'll go out of their way to accomodate whatever activity he'd like to participate in.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear and see good deeds for our protectors.

There are guides on C.Com that has offered free trips to the vets also.

ps

I slew King Chong in Saigon.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

bcgamecock, he was injured near the Baghdad Airport. Humvee was blown up by an IED.

Thanks for the heads up on the Wounded Warrior stuff. He knows all about it, just not in to much hunting and fishing, but he did ask me the other day If I wanted to go on a Turkey hunt with him.:D Wounded Warrior hunt somewhere.
    Last edited by randall25x; 03-18-2009 at 11:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I take any veteran or soldier fishing anytime. All they have to do is contact me. A friend of mine working through a local American Legion Post is smoking 650 lbs of ribs now to send to the boys in Iraq and Afganistan. I supply some of the Apple wood for the smoker. I don't have the talent he has for smoking so do what I can in supplying the wood. They are always invited to any of my fish fry's. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

That is awesome. I had the opportunity this last Deer Season to take one Active Duty Vet hunting before he shipped off to Iraq, then I took another Disabled Vet hunting. It is an honor what you are doing being a Disabled Vet myself I hope more people like you do these things
    Soldiers and Firefighters. Some people were meant to call 911, Some were meant to BE 911

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Great job..Looks like you had a banner day...We will never be able to repay these folks....Keep up the good work.

bcg, are you anywhere near Manning? Bird hunted in that area for a lot of years...
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonG View Post
    Great job..Looks like you had a banner day...We will never be able to repay these folks....Keep up the good work.

bcg, are you anywhere near Manning? Bird hunted in that area for a lot of years...
    I'm less than an hour away from Manning. I've done some fishing over that way many times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast