Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Volga Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Volga Lake

Was thinking about heading to Volga lake this week to try for some crappie there. Has anyone fished it lately? I have never been there but have read a few articles about it in IGF. I do like to hit new lakes and check them out.

John B.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Never been there myself, but...

If you ask that question on this board, I am sure you will get some good info there! Luck to ya, and let us know how you come out!

<,"}/>{ Rippa

http://www.iowaoutdoors.org/forum/in...&sort=0&page=1
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

supserdave Guest

If you like 7-8" crappies, and 6-8" bluegills, volga's ok. Its a decent bass lake, and some decent cats to. The panfish have good numbers, but not much for size. If I was you I would head south.

Post Thanks / Like

I see you are from Solon Waygate. What's wrong with McBride? Lots of good Crappie fishing to be had there!

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,

Thanks for info on Volga. Once I looked on the map real good, it is a little farther drive than what I wanted to do in one day but would still like to see the lake sometime. I ended up just going out to Res' this past Thursday. Caught a few crappie and white bass but it was pretty slow.

Tim,

MacBride is OK but the bite has been slow lately. The ones I have been getting are pretty small and not a lot of them either. Have not tried there since the hot weather sort of broke. Also, I just get tired of fishing the same old lake in my backyard and like to see new lakes once in a while. I just wish Rathbun was closer for a day trip but driving for five hours in one day is just too much for me. I have done it many times in the past and the trip home in the dark is a long one (tend to space off half hour chunks of driving). The wipers were a lot of fun last fall on MacBride so they should be hitting soon, too. Wish I could get them in the middle of summer as they are one fightin' fish.

John B.