Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishing memories

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing memories

read a post and it got me thinking about fishing trips when I was younger. I can remember certain trips that something happened like a big fish, or some kind of mishap. Most of those memories are with my grandad.

I grew up fishing the swamps and river systems in North Florida around Panama City. I can remember one time with my grandad we put in his small boat in a creek and started our way out to the main river. He always liked to fish a snagless salley, a spinner bait used alot back then. An inline spinnerbait that is weedless and great in river systems. Anyway, we were both fishing a sally when we went by a blow down tree. I had seen my grandad do this many times, but this time it worked. He reeled the salley nearly up to the eye of the rod and then shoved the rod tip into the water about 3 or 4 feet deep. He ran that salley around the end of the tree top causing a heck of a ruckus in the water, and all of a sudden he ripped this 5 pound largemouth into the boat. I was in complete amazement as a 10 year old. My grandad, within just a few seconds, became the greatest fishermen I had ever seen. Nobody in my eyes could out-do ol grandad. For years after that I never hesitated to to do the same thing around every tree I came to. Of course, I could never repeat the outcome!!!

That is a great memory. Sure beats the memories of him in the hospital.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Waters View Post
    read a post and it got me thinking about fishing trips when I was younger. I can remember certain trips that something happened like a big fish, or some kind of mishap. Most of those memories are with my grandad.

I grew up fishing the swamps and river systems in North Florida around Panama City. I can remember one time with my grandad we put in his small boat in a creek and started our way out to the main river. He always liked to fish a snagless salley, a spinner bait used alot back then. An inline spinnerbait that is weedless and great in river systems. Anyway, we were both fishing a sally when we went by a blow down tree. I had seen my grandad do this many times, but this time it worked. He reeled the salley nearly up to the eye of the rod and then shoved the rod tip into the water about 3 or 4 feet deep. He ran that salley around the end of the tree top causing a heck of a ruckus in the water, and all of a sudden he ripped this 5 pound largemouth into the boat. I was in complete amazement as a 10 year old. My grandad, within just a few seconds, became the greatest fishermen I had ever seen. Nobody in my eyes could out-do ol grandad. For years after that I never hesitated to to do the same thing around every tree I came to. Of course, I could never repeat the outcome!!!

That is a great memory. Sure beats the memories of him in the hospital.
    1951-1955 at tyndall--new baby -we were worse than broke --[hungry]--anyway landlord took me to wewa [dead lakes] fished with a couple of cane poles --caught a bunch of bream which were welcome at our table--still remember that fondly--often thought of going back but then I remember you can,t go home again
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Frank, I spent many hours on the dead lakes in good ole Wewa (Wewahitchica, FL)Absolutely a beautiful lake with cypress stumps everywhere. Dark water from the tanic acid. Awesome.

Appilachicola River and the Chipola river runs together right near the dead lakes. I grew up on those rivers and in those woods.

Awesome memories.

Tyndal Air Force Base was part of my stompin grounds as well. All my freinds growing up were Air Force brats.

Man, the memories are rushing back. River is different now with all the issues with the Chatahoochie river and all the dredging.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association