Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Johnson 88 SPL

Post Thanks / Like

Default Johnson 88 SPL

I have a 16.5' Kenner / 88 SPL. Last weekend I went to wot for about a 1/4 mile, the motor was trimmed up and sounded good, I hit 5k rpm and it died. It just shut down. No sputter or over heat alarm, just died. I started it back up and went 13 miles just under 4k rpms with no problems. Several times I would bump it back up to wot then ease it back down with no problems. Is there an over rev limiter or safety cuttoff at too high rpms? Is 5k rpms too much? I don't normally run wot.
    Last edited by jighed; 03-17-2009 at 02:15 PM.

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

that motor will have no trouble running up to 5k. Should really propped at 5500rpm to prevent coking in the cylinders unless you decarb regularly. Probably has a revlimiter on it but will not kill the engine. I would check all my battery connections and kill switch. With it just dieing like that it sounds like you lost a connection somewhere...that sounds electrical...fuel,air, or anything else will have spitting and sputtering. Make sure your connections are tight and free of any corrosion...on the boat and under the cowling. If you can run up over 5k you are fine. Doesn't mean you should run there all the time...it just needs to be propped to around 5500...otherwise you are lugging the engine all the way through the rpm range.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply Scrapper.