Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor Problems

Post Thanks / Like

Default Motor Problems

I was fishing Saturday when what I think was my low oil indicator came on. I put more oil in the resorvoir and the light would never go off and I kept having to listen to the buzzer. The motor was getting oil, I know that now from a longer story that I will keep to myself. Anyone know if there is something you have to do if you run the resorvoir completly empty? ( 225 EFI Mercury)

Also, the water pressure gauge on the dash is only showing 8 psi and I knoe that this should run above 10 psi. What causes this?

Know any good, inexpensive Mercury mechanics around Decatur, AL?

Thanks
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

I just had the same problem with a smaller yamaha jet and had to replace the water pump. I don't know whether this would relate to your bigger motor or not. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by osagemo
    I just had the same problem with a smaller yamaha jet and had to replace the water pump. I don't know whether this would relate to your bigger motor or not. Good luck.
    osagemo,
    You are not from Osage Beach, MO are you? I purchased this boat just down the road from there.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

callshy, You can look around in the manual at the trouble shooting the oil alarm area. Here's a link to the manual mercury manual .There's a low oil sensor that could have went bad. Hope this helps you.
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

Post Thanks / Like

This is just a wild guess, but when I used to auto mech. with my Dad,
    we had a lot of trouble with the low coolant sensor on GM cars -
    if the reservoir ever got real low, the sensor would "stick" and the light
    would stay on even after you filled the bottle - a good whack on the
    side of the reservoir usually un-stuck it. Just a thought.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Drift_Wood is offline Moderator TN Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by callshy
    I was fishing Saturday when what I think was my low oil indicator came on. I put more oil in the resorvoir and the light would never go off and I kept having to listen to the buzzer. The motor was getting oil, I know that now from a longer story that I will keep to myself. Anyone know if there is something you have to do if you run the resorvoir completly empty? ( 225 EFI Mercury)

Also, the water pressure gauge on the dash is only showing 8 psi and I knoe that this should run above 10 psi. What causes this?

Know any good, inexpensive Mercury mechanics around Decatur, AL?

Thanks
    http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl go to this forum join and ask him he is good with mercury questions he will know what to do.

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Or try this one:

Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen this problem addressed here. Excellent site for help: http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info. I have gotten the oil light problem fixed and have now moved on to the water pressure problem. The low oil sensor is on the tank that is on the motor (kinda a reserve tank), not the tank in the boat. Filled it up and no more problems, simple enough. Thanks again to everyone.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by callshy
    Thanks for all the info. I have gotten the oil light problem fixed and have now moved on to the water pressure problem. The low oil sensor is on the tank that is on the motor (kinda a reserve tank), not the tank in the boat. Filled it up and no more problems, simple enough. Thanks again to everyone.

That was going to be what I would have told you check, my merc guy told me once to always make sure that motor reserve was full and had no air in it. Did you check to make sure that nothing was plugging the water intakes. If not sounds like the water pump. Which can be done yourself, just need a few basic tools to do the change out. From what I have have heard it would take a couple of hours to change.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast