Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mizzou Wrestling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mizzou Wrestling

Anyone going to the NCAA Wrestling Championships in St. Louis this weekend?

Post Thanks / Like

no but going to usa kids touney in columbia the 28 and 29th. grand kid wrestles got watch him
    GRAND KIDS 4 IS ALL YOU NEED

Post Thanks / Like

Six Tigers Awarded Top-Six Seeds
    Brackets Released for NCAA Wrestling Championships

March 16, 2009

Columbia, Mo. – Brackets for the 2009 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships, held March 19-21 in the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, were released Monday evening. Six Missouri wrestlers were seeded among the top six of their respective weight class with heavyweight junior Mark Ellis (Peculiar, Mo.) earning the highest seed at No. 2. This marks the most top eight seeds Missouri has ever had entering the National Championships, the previous high, four, was set in 2004 and again in 2007.

All-Americans Raymond Jordan (New Bern, N.C.) and Nicholas Marable (Collierville, Tenn.) earned the No. 5 seed at 174 and 165 pounds, respectively. Jordan’s first opponent of the tournament is Shane Riccio of Bucknell. Earlier in the season, Jordan collected a 13-3 win by major decision over the Bison grappler. Senior Big 12 Champion Marcus Hoehn (Farmington, Mo.) was also awarded the No. 5 seed in the 141-pound bracket and will make his first appearance at the National Tournament in a battle with Richard Rappo of Penn.

Two Tiger grapplers, Maxwell Askren (Hartland, Wis.) and Michael Chandler (High Ridge, Mo.) were awarded the No. 6 seed at 197 and 157 pounds, respectively.

Eight Missouri wrestlers will make their way through the championship bracket beginning Thursday, March 19. Competing at 133 pounds, sophomore Todd Schavrien will first meet with No. 1 seeded Franklin Gomez of Michigan State.

Missouri’s 184 pounder, redshirt freshman Dorian Henderson (Columbus, Ga.), will make his NCAA debut against Vince DiDona of Central Michigan. Henderson walked away with a 4-2 win over DiDona in a match determined in sudden victory, Feb. 13, in Columbia, Mo.

Battling at heavyweight, second ranked Mark Ellis is set to take on Pittsburgh’s Zach Sheaffer in his opening round match. The two last met Dec. 30 at the Midlands. Ellis collected a 2-1 win en route to the tournament title.

Stay tuned to University of Missouri, Official Athletic Site of the Mizzou Tigers for all of the latest information regarding the 2009 NCAA Championships.

First Round Matchups

Todd Schavrien vs. No. 1 Franklin Gomez (Michigan State)

No. 5 Marcus Hoehn vs. Richard Rappo (Penn)

No. 6 Michael Chandler vs. Kurt Kinser (Indiana)

No. 5 Nicholas Marable vs. Nick Amauchastegui (Stanford)

No. 5 Raymond Jordan vs. Shane Riccio (Bucknell)

Dorian Henderson vs. Vincenzeo DiDona (Central Michigan)

No. 6 Maxwell Askren vs. #7 Brandon Halsey (Cal State Bakersfield)

No. 2 Mark Ellis vs. Zach Sheaffer (Pittsburgh)

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Not going, but love the sport. Both of my sons wrestled. I coached them for about 10 years total. Nothing like that kind of competition

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Got to love where MU athletics is heading! Thanks for the article. Hope they do well in wrestling, but I'm going to be a little more focused on the NCAA bball tourney.

Don't forget the Black & Gold Spring game is just around the corner as well!

Alden is doing a fantastic job at MU, and he doesn't just focus on the major "revenue" sports either. As the AD to that school to the West seems to do. The only thing that I require of Alden now, IS TO SIGN MIKE ANDERSON TO A LONGTERM CONTRACT NOW!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

What has always chapped me, however, is that wrestling never gets the publicity of bball, football, or even baseball. The "Missouri Net News" in the morning has not mentioned it. A Mizzou round-baller can fart, and it makes headlines. The oldest sport in the world, and you have to get up at 2am to watch it on the Olympics. Missouri is making history in the world of college wrestling, but most people dont realize it. Go to Iowa, Oklahoma or Nebraska and people follow it more. Just a little rant, since I grew up wrestling and its always seemed that way!! IMHO. I actually graduated from Missouri State where they cut the wrestling program in about '95 due to title 9.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you Bayou, I went to MU and it didn't get much talk on campus either. I never wrestled but I remember high school football 2 a days and seeing the wrestling team practice and thinking "I'd rather be doing these 2 a days than doing that!" Those wrestling practices looked rough, made getting through football practices a little easier seeing that.

Post Thanks / Like

wouldn't miss it. Haven't in 10+ years. Can't go until Friday however but should be fun... GO TIGERS!!

Post Thanks / Like

Where you from Lecty?
    I have never been, but would love to go. One of my best friends in college wrestled at 155 for SMSU when it was in Chapel Hill about 12 yrs or so ago. Jim Prendergast. Then his little brother wrestled HVWT for the Naval Academy last year, and I wanted to go since it was in STL, but wasnt able. It is all the way across the state for me. Hopefully Fox Midwest will broadcast the finals, at least. Thats what they did for the Big 12 tourney.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, started in IA for the first 5 or 6 years of my life. dad was a hs wrestling coach in a small town up there. Moved to Chillicothe and graduated high school there. Went to CMSU, wrestled there for a couple of years. Moved to Columbia, Springfield, back to Columbia and now live in Wichita, KS. Leaving tonight for KC and will be in St. Louis early afternoon. Looking forward to a fun weekend!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast