Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Has this happen to anyone else?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Has this happen to anyone else?

Hey Guys! I got into some crappie on Saturday and Sunday and was having a fair amount of success. It was blistering hot! I was catching them about 15-17 feet deep. I noticed, however, the non-keepers that I returned to the water were dying. When I saw this, I immediately stopped fishing. I just couldn't stand to see these future slabs die. What a waste. It must have something to do with the hot water conditions. Has this happened to anyone else?

Drift_Wood is offline Moderator TN Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by croppiedude
    Hey Guys! I got into some crappie on Saturday and Sunday and was having a fair amount of success. It was blistering hot! I was catching them about 15-17 feet deep. I noticed, however, the non-keepers that I returned to the water were dying. When I saw this, I immediately stopped fishing. I just couldn't stand to see these future slabs die. What a waste. It must have something to do with the hot water conditions. Has this happened to anyone else?
    Hey Croppiedude,

I have never seen this before but why dont you post this on the main forum for everyone to see you will get better results I think, some of them guys probally dont never read this states forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Try bringing them up slower from that deep of water. I have seen this sauger fishing. If you bring them up too fast,their lungs would pop out.
    ERN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by croppiedude
    croppiedude....If they're dying that fast and floating, it may be caused by bringing them up from deep water. Their swim bladder expands as they are pulled up and pressure decreases, causing the bladder to expand. It won't bleed off quick enough, and they will float on top of the water like a cork, and will die quickly. I will see if I can find the link from our Wildlife people that describes how to remedy that problem. I'll post it for you.

Here's the link. Read it all the way through for all the info.
    http://www.wlf.state.la.us/apps/netg...=lawlf&pid=953

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by labill
    croppiedude....If they're dying that fast and floating, it may be caused by bringing them up from deep water. Their swim bladder expands as they are pulled up and pressure decreases, causing the bladder to expand. It won't bleed off quick enough, and they will float on top of the water like a cork, and will die quickly. I will see if I can find the link from our Wildlife people that describes how to remedy that problem. I'll post it for you.

Here's the link. Read it all the way through for all the info.
    http://www.wlf.state.la.us/apps/netg...=lawlf&pid=953
    I thought the same thing but it really wasn't that deep. (15-17') I've caught them in the winter much deeper than that and never had a problem. I'll post on the Main Forum and see what everyone else says.