Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: I'm starting to figure out Possum Lake!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm starting to figure out Possum Lake!!

I tried something I saw on tv with GF the other day.. I modified a few bobbers, by putting a few BB's in them so that they rattle.. Seems to work but it attracts all species not just crappie..

I also have to work on my working with bobbers. :D I need to work mork on overhead casts, rather than sidearming, or stop the bobber in mid-flight so that I'm lined up with the bobber... Shorefishing can be fun!! :D

Tux

Post Thanks / Like

Tux, whats been biting up there for ya? Who ran you outta there the other night, WCO's? I'm surprised they didnt jump to write you a ticket right away.

Post Thanks / Like

It was the dnr guys... Not sure if he was in training or not by his dress(no gun or usual attachment on the belt), but he was wearing the uniform... Not sure what WCO's are...

As for not writing me a ticket it was 10 on the dot when he pulled up and let me know... He was pretty cool about everything, and BS'd with a good 20 minutes the first time he saw me and joked with me about doing some "top waterin' " as soon as i was gone... ...

As for what's biting, I've been popping a few nice sized bluegills as well as some crappie by wading out a bit and casting my rattle bobbers to the edge of the grass.. I just have to work on my keeping my line straight(no wind bows), so I can get a better hooking ratio... So far its been about 30% in my favor ...lol I've seen a few boaters trolling and catching as well, with a good mix of panfish..

BTW, ever try conodoquinet(not sure on spelling) creek?? If so where's a good spot on there??

Tux

Post Thanks / Like

Tux, thanks for the update. We will have to get together here in about 3 weeks up there at opossum and I'll put you on some slabs. I have some real good late august -early sept spots up there. As far as the Conodoguinet goes, anywhere from North Middleton park down to the dam at cave hill is decent. I used to do real good down here a few yrs ago, but since they rebuilt the dam fish have disappeared. You can still hammer the rockbass and an occasional LMB. Wade fishing below the dam can also be productive. Good luck and post report if you make it out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tube4Slabs
    Tux, thanks for the update. We will have to get together here in about 3 weeks up there at opossum and I'll put you on some slabs. I have some real good late august -early sept spots up there. As far as the Conodoguinet goes, anywhere from North Middleton park down to the dam at cave hill is decent. I used to do real good down here a few yrs ago, but since they rebuilt the dam fish have disappeared. You can still hammer the rockbass and an occasional LMB. Wade fishing below the dam can also be productive. Good luck and post report if you make it out
    Sounds like a plan!! :D What should I bring for that?? I'm a artificial lure man, myself...

As for conodoguinet, I'll have to look up on the map for those places and try my luck, and take my GF so she can get bit once or twice.. She's not had the best of luck getting any hits on the rattle bobbers I made.. They've hit it, and pulled it under but her timing's sorta like mine, needs work , lol..

I have a feeling she might have some luck on the creek with some spinners.. That's what I usually start off with when I try out streams and creeks..

Tux

Post Thanks / Like

We'll use a combination of minnows and any artificial stuff you wanna try. Varies day to day on what they want to take the best. I'll let you know when things pick up, can you fish during the weekdays at all or mostly evenings?

Post Thanks / Like

I work evenings but weekends are usually good for me.. I've enevr tried minnows before.. I've tried a bit of everything at crappies on some of my home waters with interesting results in quite a few cases, but this was on some of my home waters back in md.. LOL, I've tried top waterin' for them as well as using tiny rubber worms with nice results depending on their moods..

Of all I think the top waterin' was the funnest! :D Crappie can be down right savage at times, on a cricket hopper...

Tux

BTW, what size slip bobbers should I bring??

Post Thanks / Like

Tux got into a few tonight, largest 12 inches, fished for 2 hrs after work ...heres a musky I got up there in the spring

Post Thanks / Like

sorry the pics were so big forgot to resize

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Cool pics!! Looks like you do pretty good up there.. A buddy of mine, wants to head up there for the toothy ones also.. He's really into them as well as bass..

Gonna try and sneak up there one morning before work, if I have time.. I'm trying to get ready for archery season and I'm a bit behind...lol

Tux