Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on 24 Volt rolling motor connections.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question on 24 Volt rolling motor connections.

This is my first experience with a 24 volt trolling motor. It is a 65lb thrust MinnKota. I am not sure if I have it properly connected to my batteries. I have a total of 5 terminated ends in my battery compartment. (1) red labeled troll bat #1, (1) orange labeled bat #2, (1) black for connection to neg. post. and one is a black cable with a terminal on each end(2), (I know that is to connect the two batteries together). Is there more than one way to make this work, and is one way better than another? I have it wired as so:Bat#1 I have the troll wire on pos. post and the black wire with the single terminal hooked to the neg. post. Bat#2 I have the orange wire connected to the pos. post and I have the black wire with a terminal on each end connected to the Neg. post of both batteries, connecting them together.
    I used my trolling motor all day last Thursday, connected this way. It worked fine with no problems, but I thought that it should have had more power than what it had. I wonder if maybe I have the series connected correctly or not and if this would mak a difference.
    Brandon Jennings
    Bayou Crappie ETC

Post Thanks / Like

Default battery connect for 24 volt

to hook up a 24 volt trolling motor . Take the red wire from the trolling motor to the positive post on batt #1 . Take the black wire from the trolling motor to the neg post on batt #2. Then take a wire and run from the neg post of batt#1 to the positive post on batt#2 That is how to connect for 24 volt motor.
    I think you just have yours hooked up in a series which is just 12 volt.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Hey beave, if you hook two 12 volt batteries in series you get 24 volts.

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver
    to hook up a 24 volt trolling motor . Take the red wire from the trolling motor to the positive post on batt #1 . Take the black wire from the trolling motor to the neg post on batt #2. Then take a wire and run from the neg post of batt#1 to the positive post on batt#2 That is how to connect for 24 volt motor.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver
    Just in case you want a second opinion. This is correct. A series connection which is what you want doubles the voltage. A parallel connecton still gives you 12 volts but double the reserve power. BTW, you will be very happy with a 24V system.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

"Then take a wire and run from the neg post of batt#1 to the positive post on batt#2"

So this is the step that makes it a series?

I will try this and hopefully my trolling motor will be more powerful. It sure seemed weak to me, I thought that it should have moved my boat around a little better than what it did. Guess I had the hook up all wrong. :rolleyes:
    Brandon Jennings
    Bayou Crappie ETC

Post Thanks / Like

I do not think that 24 volt Minn Kota will run on 12 volt? Mine will not run except with 24 volt! Is this a PowerDrive series trolling motor? Sometimes bad connections in the foot pedal on these type motors will cause power loss. Is the motor brand new?
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Callshy, I believe I just have it wired wrong, the motor is brand new. but thanks for the info.
    Brandon Jennings
    Bayou Crappie ETC

Post Thanks / Like

I can scan a picture of how mine is wired if that will help?
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pic

Pete if it would not be too much trouble, I would really appreciate a pic. Thanks.
    Brandon Jennings
    Bayou Crappie ETC

Post Thanks / Like

You can also buy different plugs to attach to the trolling motor. Two wires would be ran from each battery and would connect to 4 seperate terminals on a female plug. The male adapater has the terminals crossed at that point to make 24 volt. Kinda hard to explain. In my opinion it makes charging easier. I always disconnected the "jumper" wire when charging in my old boat.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast