Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you use the line clip for on your spinning reel spool?

Post Thanks / Like

Question What do you use the line clip for on your spinning reel spool?

I thought it was just to hold the end of the line when switching spools or breaking down the rod and tackle, so the line doesn't start coming off the spool.

Just read that its to clip the mainline to, once it was cast out, so the distance cast could be repeated. After thinking about it, I can understand using it for verticle jigging so you could go back to the same depth, but for casting the same distance? Wouldn't that cause the bait to go flying or even snap off the terminal tackle?

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats a new one for this old dog, but it makes sense if like you say you're vertical jigging. Casting most assuredly would be the cause of a lot of flying baits and for what purpose would it be for casting.

"gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDave View Post
    Just read that its to clip the mainline to, once it was cast out, so the distance cast could be repeated.

Yes, this is how top European anglers fish a swimfeeder. I learned it from some English fishing mags. I use it occasionally when I fish a feeder. As you note, it allows you to keep casting your bait into a VERY precise area.

I've never had any problems with bait or terminal tackle flying off. You just have to be careful with big fish. With your line clipped like that, a big fish can easily break off. If big fish are possible, most people just cast the bait out and then mark the line in some way (with white out, for example, or by tying a stop knot on the line.)

Post Thanks / Like

A day never goes by where I dont learn something new from this forum, it is absolutely the best in my book

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Best Kept Secret is Out........

I`ve been using this method of marking my line while deep water vertical jigging for some time now.....It`s sure better than stripping the line in everytime....Just set the line in the clip at the depth you`re catching fish,when you get another fish just reel it in then just throw back out and line will stop at the same depth......Tknight
    The limit is how many you KEEP, not how many you CATCH! Cat. III Jigs/Custom Jig Poles

Post Thanks / Like

Default Guess it is used other ways then what I thought.

Thanks!
    :D
    OD

Post Thanks / Like

I can see getting in a rush or a shcool of fish and forgetting it's clipped and by bye terminal tackle LOL

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Very good tip!

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I never thought of that. I have a couple of the zebco Bill Dance crappie reels I use for spider rigging and vertical jigging. They have a 'depth finder' or something like that they call it, and it is a button you push and a pin comes out across the spool so it will stop the line at that depth until you reset it. The line holder gets the same results without the extra hardware. Good idea.

A day late, a dollar short and two drinks behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I will try that the next time I'm vertical jiging.
    Allatoona Bandit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast