Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virginia walleye lake HELP!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Virginia walleye lake HELP!!!!!

I used to fish walleye alot when i was younger living in WI but haven't tried for them in years. i have a lake down the road here in va that is stocked with 48,000 walleye a year due to natural reperduction issues. I have a map of the lake and there are no real humps or flats. What they do have is two pits that are 30" deep and when i went over them the fish finder went crazy. I tried to fish them with worms, minnows and jigs for a couple hours with no luck. How do i get these deep water fish to bite???? any idea's would be a great help. They do alot of studies on the walleye in the lake and say there are tons of fish that are 5lbs and up. HELP???

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Try using sonars. Up here we use Vib-ee's. Also give the jigging rapala a shot too. Fish that deep will definately hit metal blades.

Post Thanks / Like

What Lake are you talking about?
    Misplaced Lake Erie_KingFisherman

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have tried numerous times to score walleye on the lakes up here in NOVA. I have dredged every lake with bottom bouncers, walleye crankbaits etc. Best I ever did was on the Potomac in known walleye waters, simple carolina rig with an inflated crawler, or a small char/green jig head and a crawler. I have read... some experts get em on the lakes with small char 16th or 8th oz jigs around dams.

http://otcrappie.com/index.php
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reply

Sounds like your fishing Whitehurst. I am no pro, but have managed to catch a few out there. I have had my best luck throwing small crankbaits in the shallows where the bottom is sandy. I haven't caught any in the pits. April / May seems to be the best months, as they tend pretend to spawn.
    2009 NWR Bash Perch Champion
    2014 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2016 NWR Bash Crappie and Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how big an area these pits are if you would be able to troll them. On deep water I have used 3-way swivels with a husky jerk (shallow divers) and a bell sinker under them. Just adjust the sinker size to get them to go almost vertical, and is kinda like pushing jigs for crappie.

If they are small holes, I would use the blade baits and jigging spoons to fish verticaly or hop them down the ledge.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a perfect lake for downriggers, bottom bouncers, or long lining cranks.

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwaw View Post
    sounds like a perfect lake for downriggers, bottom bouncers, or long lining cranks.
    I've tried ALL that traditional wally stuff on Virginia waters. None of it works. They don't live in impoundments large enough to support big water tactics. One pro out there swears by s small chartreuse jigs. My experience with that resulted in skads of gills and dinks. Or one case, a gill took the jig then about 8 lbs of green carp took the gill.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Post Thanks / Like

try throwing a storm wiggle wart or rapala minnow rap. can't say it will work for sure, but for finicky fish it tends to work. if not a jig with a lindy munchies ringworm or mister twister, chartreuse usually works.

Post Thanks / Like

We use ZOOM Super Fluke Jrs alot, also the walleye assassins
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast