Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Weedless Jig Heads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weedless Jig Heads

I was just curious if anyone uses weedless jigs and if so what kind works best? I've always been leary of using them because of missing fish, but sure would be nice sometimes when fish are tight in the brush.

Post Thanks / Like

In a situation like you describe -- in the tight brush -- I normally go to a Slider jig head - they are a bit pricey but they work real well in that situation -- you rig them like you would texas rig a worm for bass fishing, making them weedless. I haven't tried the jig heads with the plastic "weedguards" on them. I have also wondered how they would work - I can't imagine they would work so well during a light bite.
    Don't take life so seriously, no one lives through it anyhow!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use a weedless jig that has one fiber (or something) coming out of the head to the point of the hook that I order from a guy in OK. They are about the only thing I uee, otherwise I am hung up all the time. Absouletely love them.
    Mark

Pitching jigs, catching slabs, life is good

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mark lo View Post
    I use a weedless jig that has one fiber (or something) coming out of the head to the point of the hook that I order from a guy in OK. They are about the only thing I uee, otherwise I am hung up all the time. Absouletely love them.
    Mark, we know you know how to catch fish. Maybe you could so us a pictures of these jigs or fill us in on where to buy them? Thanks.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, rather to skid in sideways, body used up and totally worn out screaming 'WOO~HOO what a ride!'

Post Thanks / Like

I use them a lot too, might miss a light bite now and then but to me it's worth that as I'am always looking for something to bang my jig into and there's usually a fish or two hanging around that stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=WantinCrappie;730312]Mark, we know you know how to catch fish.

You could probably get a lot of debate about that quote. Anyway as was mentioned you might miss a bite or two, and I do get hung up on those fishing feeling limbs

The guy that makes them for me (I use a #2 hook) is:
    Jack Hayes
    Cherokee Lures
    720 N N.W.
    Miami OK 74354
    Mark

Pitching jigs, catching slabs, life is good

Post Thanks / Like

Another option: temper the hook. Use a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the jig by the head. Put the flame of the lighter under the hook in the area where the hook makes a U bend. I heat the hook till it glows. Dip the hook in a glass of water to cool. This process makes the hook more malleable and it bends very easily. I use PowerPro, so when the hook gets pegged to some cover, all you have to do is pull or snap it out. You will have to bend the hook back into shape before lower the jig back down. I have not had any problem loosing crappie with the tempered hooks, but if you stick a big catfish or bass you probably won't get to see em.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weedless

Been using these for a few years. Really like them but seems the last batch I got the eye was not completely closed, and took me a while to figure out the problem. Has a wire instead of fiber. Get them a wal-mart. Renegade is the brand.
    I just KNOW it was a big one!!!
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I use the ones with fibers and if they are biting good its no problem.

I may miss a few but taking time to tie on new jigs costs me more fish than missing an ocassional one...

Theres nothing worse than once you finally find them to get hung up right away and shake and disturb the cover and scare them all off