Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Places I like to fish: Low water Bridges, mill dams, riffles-How do you fish them?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Places I like to fish: Low water Bridges, mill dams, riffles-How do you fish them?

Let me start by saying I am not a very good crappie fisherman, but I love going when I get time. I do most of my fishing on small streams in western MO. I fish for crappie, white bass below these structures, with a bobber and jig and or minnow, and that pretty much limits my repertoire. I try to keep my bobbers in the eddies, or right at the edge of the slack water. I like fishing Pumphouse Mill Dam north of Nevada, the old Low Water Bridge north of Deerfield, (both on Marmaton) Caplinger Mills (on Sac River) Prairie City riffles (Bates County Drainage Ditch) I also like catching these wetlands/duck lakes when they open the structures and dump them into the rivers. Wait about a day until the fish find the ditches where all that food is spilling in and..... WHOOPEE!!

How do you guys fish these places, and what rivers /bridges/dams do you prefer?

Also, I have never caught a walleye on a rod and reel, and I know people catch them at these same places I fish for that crappie/whites.
    How do you fish for them and what baits are good in these places? Thanks a lot for the ideas!

Post Thanks / Like

bayoulee, I do about the same as you, one of my favorites is a roadrunner under a slipbobber try to jig it vertical in one spot a much as possible maybe its just in my own mind but to me it'll catch crappies when nothing else is working. As for eyes' good luck! I really think that you have to forget the other stuff and concretrate on them period.... I catch some now and then but no consistency, usually when I do its with a 1/4 oz. jig or bigger on or close to the bottom with a larger hunk of plastic on it, a bass type tube works pretty good (and I never see anyone using one) don't tell anyboby! It's a secret. I have some friends that have been using the gulp lately and been catching some. Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Do a ever catch any in the Spring River? Any LW bridges on it?

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know anything about the Spring river, I really think that if you want to catch a walleye the best bet in the area now would be up the Sac on the upper end of Stockton. I do know that there are some walk in access areas there just not familiar with that area, I don't care for trolling but I'm sure that if you put the boat in as far up as possible head up river go as far as possible and troll crankbaits that will just tick the bottom now and then you'll hook up with one, rattle baits work go too. I will be on the Sac up from 82 southwest of Osceola Tuesday or Wednesday if I do any good I'll let you know. Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

cant help you much in your area never fished up there except bushwackers, good spot, but sounds like you fish the creek and such just the way I do, except on the walley, you might try nightcrawlers on the bottom deep holes. I have caught a few walley in rivers and they were always on a big bend and close to chunck rock or big drop offs, one key I have found with walley is you dont want to big a hook. good luck and good fishing,

Post Thanks / Like

They were catching them on down on the Big Osage between around Schell CIty I heard, and I heard the y were catching them good up on the Bates Co. Drainage ditch. I took the kids for a little bit yesterday on the Marmaton, as they had been catching a few whites I heard, and we didn't catch but one fish. (small crappie)