Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: San Diego Area Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default San Diego Area Crappie

I live in Louisiana but my father who taught me to fish has lived in the San Diego area for 11 years now... I'm planning to spend a week during the 4th of July out there and was wondering where's the hot spots for Crappie in the San Diego area, wanted to get him out a little and do some fishing together.
    He lives in Carlsbad and i'll also be in the Tamecula area a little.
    Fishin' fills the time until College football season

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSUguy View Post
    I live in Louisiana but my father who taught me to fish has lived in the San Diego area for 11 years now... I'm planning to spend a week during the 4th of July out there and was wondering where's the hot spots for Crappie in the San Diego area, wanted to get him out a little and do some fishing together.
    He lives in Carlsbad and i'll also be in the Tamecula area a little.
    LSUguy,
    Welcome to the California Forum. There are some good crappie fisheries in San Diego. I like to fish Lake Henshaw, El Capitan Reservoire, or Lake Hodges for nice slabs. I have heard that Lower Otay produces some good fishing but have not fished there yet. In the Temecula area to north is Lake perris which I have heard produces some good crappie fishing but I have not been there yet. CrappieShocker or Ledhead may be able to fill you in on that. Check back here before you come out and maybe we can let you know where is producing at that time.
    Happy fishing!
    Milo

Post Thanks / Like

Perris is by Temecula and can be good off the marina around that time. There are large crappie there and tons of bluegill in the 1-2 pound range are caught off the marina. In San Diego I know that El Capitan is doing well right now. I am sure that the slabs can be caught there in July also. Another fun place can be Irvine lake in Orange County. It is a pay lake but during that time you can night fish with floating lights.

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't been to Lake Skinner in a long while - but they use to have some good crappie fishing also. Will be checking out Perris on Saturday.

Post Thanks / Like

Really appreciate the help... I have yet to fish in the SD area, but look forward to it. Anyone know what an out of state license costs in CA?
    Fishin' fills the time until College football season