Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Slip Bobbers for KY crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slip Bobbers for KY crappie

Just read the lastest issue of In-Fisherman, and noticed the article on the bobber fishing. Has anyone been using or tried the slip bobber technique here in KY. I'm not set up to try it now, but just reading sounds like it would be an excellent way to catch some of the deeper crappie this time of year.

Let me know if anyone has had much luck with this

Thanks...

CA

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Well CA ...

I'm not real sure what the article is referring to (don't subscribe to I-F anymore) ... but, when using a float/bobber/cork (whatever you want to call them), I always use one that "slips". My longest poles are only 8ft long, so a clamp on type float is tough to use - if you're fishing deeper than 10ft. Plus, it makes it a bit difficult to "cast" ... if you're "required" to do so, to get your bait into a specific spot, that's any distance away. A slip float allows you to fish from just under the surface, all the way to the bottom (however deep that may be, and if you want to go that deep). The only trade off, with slip floats, is getting a "stopper" that won't hang up in the tip eye, won't hang up in the line spool, and will freely & easily pass thru the guides/tip of the rod you're using. I've gone from using the "bobber stopper" type (rubber stopper/bead on a wire loop) to the plastic "band with holes" type. They both have their respective pros & cons.
    Do slip floats work - you bet they do ... but, just be sure and set the depth slightly above the depth the Crappie are suspended. Crappie will go "up" to grab a bait, but rarely go "down" to grab one. If your float starts moving off, but doesn't go much below the surface - you're fishing on a level with the Crappie. If the float comes up (falls over on its side) - your fishing a little too deep. If the float bounces, then proceeds to "head towards the bottom" - you're right on target !! ......... luck2ya ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

I use nothing but. It makes it a lot easier to get the bait straight in and out with our hanging too much.
    It allows one to set the bait a consistent depth without guessing.
    I don't use them with jigs yet. But I might change that.
    Stay legal.

Post Thanks / Like

That's what i use. of course, i ain't having much luck in Lake Kincaid, but in Illinois i would get them at Banner Marsh. As stated above a slip bobber allows you to get to "that depth" on each cast.

Post Thanks / Like

howdy; that's the way that i like to fish, have had good results, i'll buy some of those "stop kits", the one's that have the bead and the thread on the tube type. and when i run out of thread i tie a thin rubber band on the line and cut off the tag ends real close. when the line is wet you can adjust the depth easily....tarfu

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb learnt sumin taday!

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    If your float starts moving off, but doesn't go much below the surface - you're fishing on a level with the Crappie. If the float comes up (falls over on its side) - your fishing a little too deep. If the float bounces, then proceeds to "head towards the bottom" - you're right on target !! ......... luck2ya ...cp

I've never thought of, or have heard that mentioned before. Sure makes a lot of sense, and sounds right on target to me though! Thanks for mentioning that Pappy!

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Default slip floats

I use the slip floats a lot when Walleye fishing and some when Crappie fishing also. It lets you back off a tree pile and fish it from a distance without spooking the fish. I use the pre-tied Carlson knots that you just slip the line though and then slide the plastic tube back off the line. I find my desired depth and draw the ends tight after I wet the whole knot. after I get it tight, I cut the tag ends as close to the knot as I can get. I then run this through my mouth wetting the knot thoroughly. With this knot I can spool the line back on the reel and not had a problem casting it even when it is down in the spool. If my knot comes loose or comes off after awhile of fishing. I don't want to cut everything off and put on another pre-tied knot. I will use a slip bobber with a stem and lay it along side my line at the depth I want the knot to be. I use either the duo line for tying slip bobbers or I will use Crochet thread to tie a new knot. I start by laying the slip bobber that has a stem along side my line and cut about an 8 inch piece of line and lay it along side the bobber stem with one side twice as long as the other one that is along side the stem. Pinch the top of the loop to hold in place and then start at the top with the longer end of the line and wrap it around the line and the stem of the float. On #4 line I only wrap the line about 3 or 4 times. With bigger line you can use more wraps, up to 6 wraps. Then the knot get's to big and won't come off the spool as easily. Now take the end of the line and run it thru the stem of the float at the end where the other end of the line is so it comes out the opposite end of the stem. Now you slide the knot off the float and pull both ends of the knot after you wet the line. Cut the tag ends as close as possible and wet the knot sliding it back and forth through your mouth. This system works very well for me when I am fishing in deeper water. Now I can wind the line back on the spool and can cast as far as I need to without the knot hanging up in the spool or the guides.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Eager Beaver

Pretty Slick Ideal About Retieing Slip Bobbers
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER