Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What is one thing HB Side Scan Helped me

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is one thing HB Side Scan Helped me

I like the side scan for lots of reasons, but one thing it has helped my mined with is this. About 4 years ago we lost all of our Hydrilla and it has been slow to come back, but with this side scan I can see much better what Hydrilla has or is coming back. I have felt better knowing there is quite a bit under there. Use to it was everywhere from 20' deep to shallow and matted on top. No mats on top yet, but it's coming back and that is a great thing.

You see Hydrilla makes my life easy for catching crappie in the spring as they love the stuff and they are very easy to catch trolling over and around the grass. It has been much more difficult since it was gone and everything changed over night. Well almost over night. Coming back sure helps the old confidence.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

hope you get what you want
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)

Post Thanks / Like

One day I will have to buy me one of those thangs. I think the value of it is that you can see the rock/brush piles, switch to regular mode and be able to tell how high they are off the bottom and then go back and ease that little cursor over and BINGO--a new waypoint.

They are just too expensive for me right now. My little Lowrance 520C will have to do it for now. But I DO envy you guys that have that set-up.

I have a little Lowrance 50 that came mounted on the dash of my boat (that is worthless) and need to update---some day. See? I'm already trying to justify it all. :D

aj

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arkie John View Post
    One day I will have to buy me one of those thangs. I think the value of it is that you can see the rock/brush piles, switch to regular mode and be able to tell how high they are off the bottom and then go back and ease that little cursor over and BINGO--a new waypoint.

They are just too expensive for me right now. My little Lowrance 520C will have to do it for now. But I DO envy you guys that have that set-up.

I have a little Lowrance 50 that came mounted on the dash of my boat (that is worthless) and need to update---some day. See? I'm already trying to justify it all. :D

aj
    You will get there and I think the view is worth more to me that the GPS on this unit. I really like it a lot.

Hope you get one soon,
    Skip

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by speck chaser View Post
    hope you get what you want
    It's is already letting me know how much improved the grass beds are this year over the last few and it's also paying off in catching crappie. As a matter of fact one of my fav spots was void of fish the last 2 years and soon I will go see if it's better.

Thanks,
    Skip

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Skip posted
    You will get there and I think the view is worth more to me that the GPS on this unit. I really like it a lot.

Hope you get one soon,
    Skip
    Yep U are right & as far as the GPS I usuually don't need to use it as I always have my TRUSTY Garmin 76Csx at my side, it takes me right back to my waypoints quickly & with no problems. Yes the side imaging views are great for finding fish & structure. Skip, wait til next year & you will understand that unit so good U will find twice as much. Hopefully in 4/5 years U will be calling the fish by their first name.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaxsprat View Post
    Skip posted
    Yep U are right & as far as the GPS I usuually don't need to use it as I always have my TRUSTY Garmin 76Csx at my side, it takes me right back to my waypoints quickly & with no problems. Yes the side imaging views are great for finding fish & structure. Skip, wait til next year & you will understand that unit so good U will find twice as much. Hopefully in 4/5 years U will be calling the fish by their first name.
    LOL that is funny Jaxsprat. I have thought several years about getting a hand held so I can see the sonar big and not split screen anyway. I like seeing the entire screen as sonar or SI.

I already and benefiting so much from the side scan that I really am impressed with what I see. This lake was made from just building a dam on the river and letting the National Forrest flood so there was so many trees for a long time you didn't need buoys to mark the boat lanes. It was clear where they went through the trees. Now that many have fallen or broken off it's way different. However there are just bunches of trees laying on the bottom.

Here is a screen shot that is pretty typical and was taken before I had things set right and I had my sensitivity a little to high on this.
    Skip

And one more, this one is showing shallow water with Hydrilla..
    Last edited by skiptomylu; 03-11-2009 at 09:41 PM.

Peak Vise Dealer

TN River: Clifton, Perryville, occasionally northward
    Post Thanks / Like

Man!!! I want one of those!!
    BSRRofl