Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tying jigs

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tying jigs

What type thread and glue do you use when tying feathers to a jig? Any ole thread and clear finger nail polish? No, I'm not going into business, just an experiment.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

we use to use a wax coated thread and sometimes colored string, super glue works well.... The thing to know is that you need to tie the string off with a knot... I strongly reccomend you order a basic tying kit available at your bass pro or cabelas. It will have everything you need in it ... be sure you get one that has the video... It is very difficult to just pick up a jig and start tying.. at least it was for me... Great Aesthetics has been my dilemna,I had to practice alot to make them look good.

Post Thanks / Like

It's pretty easy to get started, it's real hard to quit. You don't even need the whole kit, just a vise, bobin, bobin threader, materials like bucktail, flashabou, feathers and some siscors. You can order from BPS or Cabelas. I've been ordering painted jigheads from Cabelas recently or you can get unpainted from Cabelas or Stamis and paint them with vinlyl jig paint. if you paint your own it's a stinking mess and you can catch a nasty buzz. For finishing the tying I've been using Kelly Hanson nail polish with nylon. they also have some neat colors with glitter added. If you do a search on jig tying or fly tying you will find more info than you will ever need. If you want send me an e-mail and I can show you what little I know in one evening.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Ditto on buying a starter kit

We bought a starter kit from Bass Pro and have since started buying additional supplies from Netcraft
    http:www.jannsnetcraft.com

I also collect materials like rabbit fur, deer hide and hair, etc. I like the flat waxed thread - you'll want a variety of colors - and use water based head cement. Last year, we bought a good basic fly tying book and I use it for reference to make traditional or my own design flys and jigs. It's a real thrill to catch your first fish on a lure you designed and made. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, I only want to try to make a simple little jig that I can't find anymore. I'll let the pros make the fancy ones. All this is, is a small white lead head (with eyes) and some (just a little) purple stuff. Something like marabou. I was just concerned that fingernail polish odor might run the fish off.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va