Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Barberton Akron area

Post Thanks / Like

Default Barberton Akron area

I'm a transplanted buckeye now in Indiana and haven't been in the area since the 70's. My uncle lived in Rittman and was the one who taught me to love fishing. Ill be there just to check out all the remaining living relatives, and wouldn't mind fishing some area lakes but have no idea where to start. any info on where to go (BE NICE) would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

My neck of the woods! Only if you read what I've been posting, you'd know that I'm asking where to go myself. I grew up a bass fisherman, and pretty soon, when the bass turn on, Portage Lakes and Nimisila are great for bass. I just got into Crappie fishing about 2 1/2 years ago, and from here (Wadsworth area) you gotta go an hour away to find good slabs. There are some in Portage Lakes and Nimisila, although I haven't gotten a lot and all of 'em small. I have heard of some good ones being caught there, so if you're in the area, and want to give it a shot, it couldn't hurt. I think I'm gonna try Milton, Berlin, and West Branch... but again, those are about an hour away. Good luck to you when you come out here and give it a try. Let us know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Meep Meep on his choice of lakes. When are you going to be in the area.
    I may be able to take you out.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the help and the offer. I'm scheduling two knee replacements right now, one after the other so it will all depend on when I'm rehabbed enough to carry my own weight. I will definetly keep in touch with you fellas.
    I also remember a lake right in Barberton,Ann or Anna seems right. Don't remember my uncle fishing it, he always seemed to be on farm ponds.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about Lake Anna, but there definitely can be some great fishing in farm ponds, if you know the right places AND people. My uncle (not even a fisherman) built a 2.5 acre pond at his place 9 years ago and stocked it with bass, bluegill, and channel cats... then it sat for 8 years withough being fished in at all. He asked me to fish it last year and see if there were any good fish in there... My first time there, which was just for an evening (about 3 hours) I caught and released over a dozen bass (several over 3 pounds) and an 8 and 1/2 pound catfish as well as a large number of bluegill. I also kept a half a dozen bluegill that were over 9 inches. I've been back a few times since and gotten several double-digit cats and a number of bass over 4 pounds, and I'm sure I had one get off that was better than 5, could have gone 6 pounds (I know, it's always the "big one that got away", but I'll get 'im this summer an prove it).

If you know of some private waters where you can fish, that's not a bad option. They usually receive far less fishing pressure. Otherwise, go with the suggestions listed above. Nimisila has a lot of good shore access if you don't have access to a boat.
    Last edited by MeepMeep; 03-11-2009 at 03:15 PM.