Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anyone heard of the hal-fly knot?

lswoody Guest

Default Anyone heard of the hal-fly knot?

Does anyone know how to tie it? It is an overhand knot that the inventor of the hal-fly jig came up with. It supposedly is quick to tie. Thanks, lswoody

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparently the inventor was Hal Barber. I found articles that talked about it, but no directions. If you find it, let us know. I'm always looking for an easier softer way.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here's what I found

I have heard of it, but your question got me looking at Google. What I found was a link to an article that describes it as a single overhand loop knot.
    I couldn't get the page to open for me, but try doing a google search for "hal-fly+knot" . You get a couple of links to something called georgiasportsmanmag.com
    - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hal fly knot

I tried the google search earlier myself, and it didn't lead to any instructions. They mention an overhand loop knot. I wonder if this is similar to the Rapala knot which leaves a loose loop at the eye so as not to restrict movement of the jig or lure? A Rapala knot is tied by making a simple overhand knot in the line first, then passing the tag end thru the hook eye and then back thru the center of the overhand knot. You then just do an improved clinch knot above the overhand knot, and once tightened you will have a loose loop thru the eye so the lure or jig have freedom of movement.

whiplash Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback
    I tried the google search earlier myself, and it didn't lead to any instructions. They mention an overhand loop knot. I wonder if this is similar to the Rapala knot which leaves a loose loop at the eye so as not to restrict movement of the jig or lure? A Rapala knot is tied by making a simple overhand knot in the line first, then passing the tag end thru the hook eye and then back thru the center of the overhand knot. You then just do an improved clinch knot above the overhand knot, and once tightened you will have a loose loop thru the eye so the lure or jig have freedom of movement.
    a surgens knot is a double overhand knot off from a loop <> it leaves a loose conection to a lure whiplash

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb hal-fly knot

I will try to illustrate a hal-fly knot, its pretty simple,
    You run the line through your eye of the jig, leaving about 8 inches of tag,
    you tie a knot in the middle running your jig through the loop,
    Leaving the knot loose work it down to about an 1/8 of an inch
    then hold the loop and tighten the knot, then tie another knot on top and cut of tag to about1/2 inch,
    Thats about it....
    http://steveshandymanservic.tripod.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like a Palomar knot would tie just as quick but I'd like to see an illustration of the knot too.

fatman

Post Thanks / Like

I know Halfly personally and am friends with his 2 grandsons. I will ask them to film him tying one. It is an overhanded loop knot but there is no second knot above the first. The knot that was described as being an 8" piece was accurate though. I was lucky enough to get to go fishing with him and my 2 friends back in 1987 on the flats off Keaton Beach and they wore everything in the gulf that day, slap out. Harold "Hal'fly" Barber is in his 90s now but still loves to fish and gets around still better than most.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 05-24-2016 at 09:26 AM.
    Likes Roy LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The non-slip mono loop is the standard for saltwater fly and light tackle fishing. This is the best video I've seen on how to tie it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re-reading this it kind of sounds like a Surgeons Knot, just click on Surgeons knot and watch the video. Course you'll have to do it after you run the line through the eyelet.
    How To Tie Knots - Instructional Videos