Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Small motor advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Small motor advice

Hi guys, I am new to this forum and I have a question. I am doing research to buy a small gas motor for my new 14' aluminum boat. Is there really any quality difference between Tohatsu, Susuki and Yamaha? Motors under 20hp.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure, but I WOULD BUY the yammi or suki.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never owned any of these brands but if i were going to purchase one i would go to a reputable dealer and ask to speak with his mechanics. Here in Georgia i have gone to the Sports Center in Perry,Ga. many times. The mechanics i have talked to have been very helpful and would even tell me how to fix my boat myself as i do almost all of my own work. Try to find info on any problems with each one then you can make an informed decision. Best of luck with your purchase.
    "If in this life you have a good wife, at least one good dog, 1 good horse, 1 great fishing boat and a decent truck to pull it with and enough sense to know which is the most important then you have truly been blessed."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Susuki and Yamaha

I do own a 10 hp 4 stroke suzuki and a 2 stroke yamaha 10hp.
    Each has it merits. The suzuki is very quiet trolls very slow which is great. I have had issues with the carb and alcohol gas, I have started using the blue sta bil in the gas and also never letting the gas sit at all what is left over goes in the truck. This carb is complex, hard to clean. My motor is 1 year old and already had carb trouble but it was from the gas staying in the tank to long. ps the tank hose has an o-ring and it breaks and that cuts off the motor.
    The yamaha is a 2 stroke, smoke, and shaky trolling BUT it is faster by 2 mph. The carb can be rebuilt in 30 min while out in the boat, very simple. and best of all mine is 20 years old and runs as good as new and has never been in the shop.