Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas time at my house

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Christmas time at my house

Well, yesterday was Christmas for me at my house. After eight days and $237.00 later, i was called and told my boat was ready. They tore the carbs down and found trash in them. Now where in the world this trash came from is beyond me, but they went ahead and put a kit in each one. After getting it back together, it was taken to the lake and ran hard to see if it was fixed. The guy who tested it said he lost a pack of cigarettes and his lighter out of his pocket when he trimmed it out. Of course as i am talking to this guy on the phone, the biggest,silliest looking grin of my life is on my face and i start acting like a kid waiting for christmas morning. I had to work yesterday, today and tomorrow, but wait til monday when i go pick my "baby" back up. :D Hey crappieseeker, wanna go fishing tuesday morning? Get in touch with me because anything short of a tornado isn't keeping me from going.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Who fixed your boat

I'm kind of assuming that you live in the Tullahoma, Winchester area. There used to be a guy that worked on boats that had a shop out near Broadview Gro. Gary Argo, is he still in business, he was an awful good mechanic. I miss getting to fish Tim's Ford in the Spring, the smallmouth were just awsome. I plan on making a trip that way next Spring,

Good Luck
    God Bless
    Keep your line tight and you lure wet.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Fixed

Good to see you got her fixed. The boat that is ! LOL

I had a problem with my engine's carb also last spring and had to have it rebuilt. I tried to fix everything else and that included cleaning out the fuel tank, getting a new fuel line from gasoline tank to engine, new fuel lines to carb inside engine, new fuel line filter and new fuel pump and I rewired the engine wiring where some of the wires insulation had was cracking and falling off. Boat engine is 25 years old. After I got the rebuilt carb she ran smooth again. It cost me only 140 bucks or so to get the carb fixed. But then later I had to replace the throttle cable and have the gear cable replaced also. I had a new water pump installed and a new thermostat had to be installed also. Finally after all that work the engine is back up to running good. It idles down perfectly now and runs well at top end. it will go about 25 mph and that is pushing a my old Fishermarine Water Strider III with only a 35HP Johnson that is 25 years old. Not too bad for an old fishing motor. The lakes that I fish have 10mph speed limits in most of the parts of the lake that we fish.

I had a piece of grass that got stuck in my lawnmowers carb. I clean that carb three times with carb cleaning fluids before I finally tore it all apart and found that small piece of grass stuck inside one of the high speed jet ports. I had to use a small gauge wire to poke the grass out of the hole and then the carb and the engine finally started running again like it was new.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy
    Well, yesterday was Christmas for me at my house. After eight days and $237.00 later, i was called and told my boat was ready. They tore the carbs down and found trash in them. Now where in the world this trash came from is beyond me, but they went ahead and put a kit in each one. After getting it back together, it was taken to the lake and ran hard to see if it was fixed. The guy who tested it said he lost a pack of cigarettes and his lighter out of his pocket when he trimmed it out. Of course as i am talking to this guy on the phone, the biggest,silliest looking grin of my life is on my face and i start acting like a kid waiting for christmas morning. I had to work yesterday, today and tomorrow, but wait til monday when i go pick my "baby" back up. :D Hey crappieseeker, wanna go fishing tuesday morning? Get in touch with me because anything short of a tornado isn't keeping me from going.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default Congratulations!

I'm glad you got your baby back. Now I have to take my baby in. Found a puddle of gear lube oil under the motor and noticed it coming out from under the prop. I hear it might be the O-ring in the lower unit. Does anyone know if this is true, or what else it might be to cause the leak? Thanks, and hopefully my Christmas will come sooner here too!

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing line

There's a good chance you may have picked up some fishing line and it got behind the prop and forced it's way into the seal. Why not pull the prop and check it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oil Leak

Some engines use "O" rings around the metal screws that are there to plug up the oil filling and oil outlet holes on the lower engine unit. That is where I put the Gear Grease in for my lower unit on my Johnson Motor.

If the boat had been sitting a while the grease could have leaked out and ran down on the prop maybe. Anyway one needs to check and change the lower unit's grease each year or every so many hours of running time.

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Chaser
    I'm glad you got your baby back. Now I have to take my baby in. Found a puddle of gear lube oil under the motor and noticed it coming out from under the prop. I hear it might be the O-ring in the lower unit. Does anyone know if this is true, or what else it might be to cause the leak? Thanks, and hopefully my Christmas will come sooner here too!
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default i'm glad your talking lower units

I have a dumb question. When filling the lower unit with oil, Does it matter if the unit is verticle or setting in diagonal position... on transom savor? It is a 25 hp Nisson.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vertical is where it's at

I refill my lower unit with the motor in the vertical or regular postion as if I were using the motor. Not sure if you can fill it while it's tilted up or not. Never thought much about that. I figure I wanted the oil to be full when the engine was in the position that I used it in. That is down and ready to power the boat. Of couse I refill the oil in the driveway. LOL I open up the lower plug and put a tub under the engine and then open up the top plug and let the old lower unit oil drain out. Then I put the tubes nozzel into the lower hole and squeeze the grease tube until lower unit grease runs out of the top hole and then I put the plug into the top hole while I keep the tube inserted into the lower hole. Finally I put the plug back into the lower hole and tighten up both plugs tight. The suction will keep the grease in the lower unit when you close the top hole and that keep the grease from running out when you take the tube out and insert the lower hole's plug.

I refill my lower unit's grease each spring. Might want to make sure that there is no water in the grease before winter arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by fishingpox
    I have a dumb question. When filling the lower unit with oil, Does it matter if the unit is verticle or setting in diagonal position... on transom savor? It is a 25 hp Nisson.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Don, i live in Manchester which of course is right next to Tullahoma. I took it to Tullahoma boating center and to tell you the truth, i don't know who the mechanic was that worked on it. I work with the guy who owns the place and i will ask him today if that guy works there and will let you know later.

Post Thanks / Like

Don, i asked brent, as in brent bradford if he was working at his place. He said no, gary is still running a shop in Winchester. Told you i would let you know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast