Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint? No replies?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Paint? No replies?

I just ask a simple question on what primer and paint to use for my aluminum v-bottom boat, but havent had a reply yet. Wow!! Guys have plenty of time to talk about the president but no time to help new guy learn about fixing his boat to get out there fishing. Haa!! Just razzing you guys! I thought I would try this in the mechanics section since I didnt have any replies in the off topic section. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default A few options.

Donald,
    There are alot of variables to that question. What type of paint job do you want? Durable, glossy, low cost, professional? A expert job would probally be done in a epoxy paint and primer specifically made for aluminum. Visit your automotive paint store and ask for recommendations from those guys. They can help with the durability and gloss and all the specific materials for aluminum. Or if you just want to paint your boat and it look ok, you could get all the materials and do it yourself. I painted mine using trailer paint from Tractor Supply and it's ok. Just make sure you clean and prep the boat very thoroughly. Scuff the old paint and wash multiple times to ensure a bond with the primer. Tractor supply also carries a primer specifically for aluminum. It etches any bare spots to prepare it for the paint. Lite coats and don't paint in the sun or wind. Hope this helps, and post some pics when you're done. Good luck. Rollcaster....................................
    Amateur Chaser of Those Thump Thumps to
    Raise Those Hand Kandys!

IG: Krappie Krane

Post Thanks / Like

Donald go to this web site. tinboat.net I think. It's a web site just for tin boats owners answer all ur tin boat questions. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks!

I really appreciate the communication. I knew just enough to hear that some paint will react with aluminum and I didnt want to proceed any until I knew for sure what not to do. Thanks again! I do have Tractor Supply in my area.

Post Thanks / Like

I painted my Alumacraft 6 years ago with paint from West Marine It still looks good and cleans up easy. The way to a good paint gob is the prep. I also used a special roller and you couldn't tell it was rolled. I did the sides above water and the inside. Good luck on your project.

Post Thanks / Like

I painted my jon boat 2 years ago and its holding up fine. You will need to pick up some self etching primer for the bare aluminum, it comes in a spray can. You can buy it at Walmart, Advance Auto, Autozone. I then used Hunter Specialties paint and from what I understand you can use any enamel paint after you have primed the boat. The self etching primer is the key to making the paint stay on.

Post Thanks / Like

what he said. primer is the key, no primer and it'll be peeling off in no time.
    Me, I always tell the truth, even when I'm lying.

Post Thanks / Like

you will need self- etching primer for the paint to hold to the aluminum

Post Thanks / Like

Check Bass Pro and Cabelas. They sell the self etching primer for use with the non-skid flooring they sell. I have used it and it works great. Just remember to spend alot of time on prepping and you will really be glad that you did..

Post Thanks / Like

I paint aluminum boats all the time.

You need self etching primer as mentioned above. Can be found in a spray can from most auto parts stores. I buy mine by the quart or gallon, nason make sit, and can be found at O'Riellys. 2 part, primer and catalyst.

Next i use epoxy primer over top of the self etching primer. Also 2 part and also made by nason.

Paint is up to you at this point.

Better to spray with a gun than a can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast