Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Humminbird SI Guys, I need help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Humminbird SI Guys, I need help

FINALLY got the 798ci SI on the water yesterday. SPent 4 hours in a lake I have fished for years just "lookin". It was awesome!

Havin a couple issues though, even after I read the manual which is thicker than the Bible, ....twice!

1. I have it mounted in a portable manner with the transducer hanging over the back of the boat in a position exactly like it would be if permanently mounted. The only motor on the flat is the trolling motor, also on the transom. I can set the unit to scan right or scan left and it does great. If I set it to scan BOTH, then BOTH sides of the screen look ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL on the screen. Not similar, exactly the same. I am wondering if the transducer beam is bouncing off of the trolling motor and reading back right even though it is trying to read left? Thougts?

2. When I mark a tree, say, 60ft to the right of the boat and save it as a waypoint, I can't get back over it again. I pull up the split screen that shows the chart on the left with my waypoint icon and the boat, and the screen on the right has traditional 200khz sonar so I can see the tree when i get over it. BUT!!!! I can't get to the dang waypoint icon!! Little left, little right, woops too far, back up! It's like the GPS has a 3 second delay and I can't tell which way I am supposed to go. If the pile is huge, it's not a big deal, but a small pile is TUFF! Help!

Love the unit, just need to learn how to use it better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kman View Post
    FINALLY got the 798ci SI on the water yesterday. SPent 4 hours in a lake I have fished for years just "lookin". It was awesome!

Havin a couple issues though, even after I read the manual which is thicker than the Bible, ....twice!

1. I have it mounted in a portable manner with the transducer hanging over the back of the boat in a position exactly like it would be if permanently mounted. The only motor on the flat is the trolling motor, also on the transom. I can set the unit to scan right or scan left and it does great. If I set it to scan BOTH, then BOTH sides of the screen look ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL on the screen. Not similar, exactly the same. I am wondering if the transducer beam is bouncing off of the trolling motor and reading back right even though it is trying to read left? Thougts?

2. When I mark a tree, say, 60ft to the right of the boat and save it as a waypoint, I can't get back over it again. I pull up the split screen that shows the chart on the left with my waypoint icon and the boat, and the screen on the right has traditional 200khz sonar so I can see the tree when i get over it. BUT!!!! I can't get to the dang waypoint icon!! Little left, little right, woops too far, back up! It's like the GPS has a 3 second delay and I can't tell which way I am supposed to go. If the pile is huge, it's not a big deal, but a small pile is TUFF! Help!

Love the unit, just need to learn how to use it better.
    Don't know anything about having the same on both sides as I have not used mine enough to helps with that.

However a few things I can. After you move you cursor over to one side and after you finish press exit. Also know that your waypoint is based on where your antenna is and not like at the front of the boat or where the transducer is. Don't know if that is an issue or not, but what ht my little brain when you said that.

I actually have not used my GPS at all yet.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Every bit helps at this point~:D

Anyone else? Cane Pole?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Kman ...

Anyone else? Cane Pole?
    Look on the Electronics/Trolling Motor forum, for posts about HB slow refresh problems. Sounds like the problem you're describing. GPS works fine at speed, but when going slow ... GPS refresh rate isn't fast enough to stay on track to target. Slow refresh rate creates off target tracking, which causes the GPS to have to search for your current actual position, which confuses program as to your current position, so it tries to compensate, which is slowed down by slow refresh rate ... "error, error, cannot compute, system overload"

Now, I may be totally off in this assessment ... and I apologize, if I am. But, from what little I've read about it (on this site), this is what I've concluded.

... cp

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else? Cane Pole?
    Give us a picture of you mount. We can tell from the "in the water" mount more than anything else.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

crappiepappy
    Now, I may be totally off in this assessment ... and I apologize, if I am. But, from what little I've read about it (on this site), this is what I've concluded.

... cp
    crappiepappy knows his stuff !!! kman, its not you its the unit like all our units SLOW GPS kman crappiepappy explained it to a "T". Problem lies not in the ant./puck but in the processor in the main/head unit design.
    It may be possible you got one view selected for both sides,check menu to see whats selected & follow the Canes advice(up to a point:D:D:D:rolleyes
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 03-08-2009 at 02:16 AM. Reason: user id spelling correction
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

crappiepappy, thanks! That is exactly what's happening. Thanks jax!

Cane pole, at work right now, but I WILL take that pic so you might help me with both sides scanning the same. I really THINK it is going to be interference with the trolling motor. But I sure dont know that for certain! Maybe you will.
    Thanks!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

crappiepappy, thanks! That is exactly what's happening. Thanks jax!

Cane pole, at work right now, but I WILL take that pic so you might help me with both sides scanning the same. I really THINK it is going to be interference with the trolling motor. But I sure dont know that for certain! Maybe you will.
    Thanks!
    Transducer needs to be away from prop. Might be getting air bubbles.? Get some pics. I ain't no expert here, just a victim.:o

The screen refresh is still a problem for all. Throw out markers.
    Last edited by Cane Pole; 03-09-2009 at 12:54 PM.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I saw yall Sun morn in scan mode. I could tell you were trying to get it worked out. Was gonna say hi, but you headed for the bank b/f I had the chance.

Adam

Post Thanks / Like

10-4CP, have markers will throw!:D

Adam, you shoulda said something!!!

I saw you fishing too, matter of fact, I told my partner, "that guy actually looks like he knows what he's doing"

How did you make out that day?