Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lowrance HDS question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lowrance HDS question

I just purchased a Lowrance HDS-5 Fishfinder/GPS Chartplotter with Lake insight and a Minn Kota trolling motor with Sonar.
    I haven't received the unit yet and was curious.
    Should I be concerned with Navionics maps or some of the other brands offered, and go ahead and get it ordered? Or does this unit already have what I need? There apparently is a card slot for this feature. As I read the info about this unit on the web, it says it comes loaded with some maps already.
    I'm not really sure if I need it, but if I do... I want it!

Anyone very familiar with this product that can give any advise?

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought the HDS-7 yesterday and used in on Eufaula today. I bought the one with the preloaded maps. I have this one mounted on my dash and a different Lowrance on my bow. The one on my bow has the Navionics 2008 in it. I can tell you this, the Navionics chip has better detail on contour lines but the preinstalled HD maps shows the river channels better. Supposedly you can't use the Navionics with the preloaded maps right now. There's supposed to be a software update in the next week or so to correct this problem. Personally I think the preloaded maps are good enough to not worry with the Navionics chip. Just My Opinion. BTW I love the new HDS-7 and can't wait for the side imaging transducer.
    To heck with work, lets go fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Wes, will that side-imaging add-on work right with that minn-kota with built in sonar
    Welcome to the board POfisher

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to mount the new transducer to the bottom of the trolling motor and wouldn't be able to use the universal sonar. The side imaging is all in the Transducer. I've got the HDS mounted on my dash and am using a transducer that is mounted on the rear of the boat. I'll just have to replace that one.
    To heck with work, lets go fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

I have one of the hds5 also and bought a navionices card but they don't work in the new units yet Lowrance said the firm ware update will not be out until mid April
    James & April Linderman

Vicious Tournament Team Members
    Southern Pro Pro Staff
    HI-Tek Rod Holders

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking at buying the HDS5 and I was wondering if I mount it next to my other Lowrance would there be any interference between the two or would I be better off to take the older X52 off?
    Blake

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bc1448 View Post
    I am looking at buying the HDS5 and I was wondering if I mount it next to my other Lowrance would there be any interference between the two or would I be better off to take the older X52 off?
    Blake
    No , their won't be any interference...It would be a good idea to keep em both till ya learn all the in's an out's of the HDS5

Post Thanks / Like

What is up with the US Base Map or the Lake Insight Mapping??? What is the differrence in them and is one better than the other??? If I'm spending that much money I want to get the best one!!! Thanks for any help in advance.
    Blake

Post Thanks / Like

I would not put the transducers side by side.

Post Thanks / Like

Let us know how the sonar in the motor works.