Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best crappie lake in Texas?

Steve-O Guest

Question What's the best crappie lake in Texas?

I've heard good things about lake o the pines. Granger is awesome.

Cedar creek is good as is Grapevine, Lewisville, and Ray Roberts. Any other good ones and which one is best?

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I think you could get alot of opinions on this question. Everyone has their hot spot. Most of the lakes I fish are in East Texas. Palestine, Tyler, Fork, Jacksonville. Their all very simular believe it or not. Its all about structure. Find it and you will do well. Without it, and your in for a long day. They all have good crappie in them, but sesaons come and go, and so do the fish. You just have to have enough seasonal structure and different depths to go to. Good Fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Like Britt said all lakes have their advantages and I will chime in with Sam Rayburn beimg the #1 crappie lake in all the South.
    I am prejudice since I only fish Rayburn and my parents have several crappie holes located and I sneak in and fish them when they are not at the lake
    I am a new to crappie fisherman but really love it alot, second only to bass or catfish. Since crappie multiply worse than wild hogs there will be tons in any lake that has ever had any just find the right brush pile and enjoy the day.
    In the summers I am partial to having an umbrella on the boat, and if you ever see a flat bottom with a yellow and white umbrella on it stop by and say hi.
    Good luck with the crappie
    kenny

Post Thanks / Like

Im partial to Pines, I fishd it all my life, also Little Cypress creek North
    of Longview, there are somr spots ya can get 50-100 in late Dec and early Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wright Patman Lake

I think Wright Patman Lake, just south of Texarkana, TX is one of the best crappie lakes in Texas. I have fished it all my life and catches of 2.5-3lb+ crappie in the srping and through out the rest of the year is not uncommon.

Steve-O Guest

I've heard good things about the east Texas lakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lower San Jacinto River

For the amount of fishable water The San Jacinto River below Lake Houston dam produces a huge amount of crappie. This area is heavly fished year round and has always produced. People in our area call it the Aquarium, becuase at times catching a limit of crappie is as easy as fishing in an aquarium.

Post Thanks / Like

Been thinkin about a trip to Tx in December. Lake Of the Pines has been suggested to me for a good crappie trip. Has anyone got experience /opinion on Canyon Lake or Lake Travis or any other lake near Austin?
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Somerville

Quote Originally Posted by kunes
    Been thinkin about a trip to Tx in December. Lake Of the Pines has been suggested to me for a good crappie trip. Has anyone got experience /opinion on Canyon Lake or Lake Travis or any other lake near Austin?
    I live in Virginia now but fished Somerville for over 10 yrs and rarely went
    home empty-handed. It isn't right at your doorstep but can't be too far-I
    always travelled to it from the east. I've been away for 3 yrs but there was always a kazillion brushpiles and anything 15 ft and deeper worked for me in Dec. Also some standing timber but maybe a little shallow for winter. I would
    start by getting in 15-18 ft on the west side of Rocky Cr Park and motor
    along parallel to the shoreline and have a couple markers ready to mark
    brush. Pecan Lake (a cove on the lake) is another good spot. This is assuming
    you are going by boat. If not, there was a fishing pier & floating pavillion at
    Big Cr Park that was good during winter. Good luck wherever you go.
    Jeff
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

I checked the TPWD website. Texas got it's stuff together. I miss it. I love the way they have a set of records for each lake that includes the most popular species. Very telling. Looks like a trip to East Texas is the best bet.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast