Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have 4 that are no good

Post Thanks / Like

Default I have 4 that are no good

I have 4 reel's that are not worth taking out of the store, the Walley Marshell
    Crappie reel's, I have two of those and two Uncle Bucks Crappie reel. No they don't cost a arm and leg but they arn't worth walking out of the store with. I bought them because they are light they would be just what I would like to have if they were much better Quality. I would gladley pay three times what I payed for them if the quality was thare. The problem with all 4 reel that the spool lock will not work on all of them when you set the hook you better have your finger on spool or they will spool of line. I am taking all 4 back to BPS next week.

mikeg

Post Thanks / Like

Default I did too

Had one of these reels and a 11ft pole given to me as a safety award at work. Had the same problem you did with the reel and also the pole didn't have any feeling in it. Caught 17 big fish one day and didn't feel any of them hit. Had to watch the line and the tip. I gave both to a retired buddy from work. There was about 10 people choose these for safety awards and only 1 person was satisfied. He strictly uses corks and the pole had plenty of backbone. I believe there is some good Wally Marshall equipment, but I guess I have to go and hold them instead of order them. That excludes the crappie reels, which I believe like you that they aren't worth taking out the store.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

Everybody has different tastes and and different wants out of the performance of their equipment - I have used some reels that were much better than the Wally Marshalls but yeah your right I paid alot more for them - I have 4 of the Wally Marshall reels right now and I cannot complain about there performance - I have caught a bunch of fish with them - 2 of them are 2 years old - I bought 2 this spring - all still working good - and one reason I like them so well if something goes wrong with them I will throw them away and buy me something else - as it stands right now I will more than likely buy some more when they are on sale - I just bought 2 little Shimano reels on sale that I have less the 20 a piece in - for the money they are doing great also - sorry these reels are not working out for you guys - but that is another added bonus of crappie fishing you do not have to spend a fortune to get decent tackle to catchem with - hope yall find what you are looking for - I will have to look on the box on the Shimanos and get the model they are maybe you will want to try them
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone about the wally marshall reels. I bought one at bass pro shop for trolling, have not got the thing to work right since I bought it. Hard to put the brake on and off and the drag does not work right. Not smooth at all. Real disapointment.

Post Thanks / Like

Default not everybody

Quote Originally Posted by reelcrappie
    I agree with everyone about the wally marshall reels. I bought one at bass pro shop for trolling, have not got the thing to work right since I bought it. Hard to put the brake on and off and the drag does not work right. Not smooth at all. Real disapointment.
    not eerybody - mine work good smooth and the drags are good - I just said they are not the best in the world - may be for the money I paid
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I am confused here guys. Is there more than one model or type of Wally Marshall Crappie Reels? Is it possible that you guys are talking about two or more different models?

I would think that any manufacture would welcome feedback from his or her customers. That way if something is not up to snuff the manufacture can hopefully find and fix the problem. After all if you want to stay in business customer service and satisfaction should be a critical component of any business.

I know that if my reels didn't lock as they should I would return them for a refund.

Once someone has a bad experience with a product it takes a lot of persuading to get them to come back to your product. Now if more than one guy is having a problem with the product it may not be a simple problem but a real defect somewhere.

I sure am glad to hear these things. Thank god for the interent where we can read some real life reviews of products. The old saying "you get what you pay for" still applies. I stayed away from Wally's reels and went with the tried and true shakesphere and Daiwa and Shimano reels. So far they have served me well over the last few years. No real complaints about any of them.

I suspect that maybe there was a bad batch of these reels as some are having problems with them and others aren't. Either that or you guys are talking about two different models. Something is different to give such dissimilar results.

Hope that you all can return the reels and or get them fixed and that they find out what caused them to be defective and that they can get that problem fixed (REEL) Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by crap-king
    not eerybody - mine work good smooth and the drags are good - I just said they are not the best in the world - may be for the money I paid
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shimano reels

I have quite a few Shimano reels and can't complain about any of them. I use the 2000 models for bass and bigger fish. I use the 1000 for crappie when I want to use 6Lb line or bigger. I mostly use the MSOO UL Quantium reels on a 5ft UL cherry wood rod. If you ever caught a 14 inch crappie on this outfit you would know why I like them so much. I love this combination and use them most of the time. I would think Wally Marshall wouldn't put his name on a reel that wasn't what it was advertised to be. He has a lot of time and money invested in his name ( Mr Crappie) and I can't see him letting a company put his name on a bad product.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I would think Wally Marshall wouldn't put his name on a reel that wasn't what it was advertised to be. He has a lot of time and money invested in his name ( Mr Crappie) and I can't see him letting a company put his name on a bad product.[/QUOTE]
    No disrespect meant to Mr. Crappie, or those who are happy with the reels -
    but I think we would be badly mistaken to pay any attention whatsoever
    to who's name is on what - Its all about the MONEY! If you pay someone
    enough, they'll sing the praises of horseturds - or make a signature horse
    chip. My favorite example is Bill Dance - we can all agree, I think, that he
    is an excellent fisherman, and catches lots of fish... But he plugs Stren,
    and I wouldn't give you 15 cents for every spool of the stuff ever made.
    Ok, flame suit on... Oh, and by the way, don't buy anything advertised
    as being "for crappie". I believe the marketing types have crappie fishermen
    pegged as shall we say, not the sharpest tools in the shed, or most
    discriminating buyers... If it says crappie on it, you can bet it is some
    cheap made ****.
    Last edited by J White; 07-20-2005 at 03:51 PM.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wally Marshall compared to Bill Dance.

I think there is a difference between Wally and Bill and there sponsors. Wally has his name on his sponsors products and Bill's name isn't on Stren Line. Bill is advertising for Stren and Wally is advertising for his product line. I am sure Bill is a little more aware of products that have his name on them, as compared with a general product like line that doesn't have his name on it. I used Stren line for years and didn't have a problem with it. I went to Berkely Trilene Line because it is a more supple line than Stren is in my opionion. I use Stren Line on some of my Bait Caster's that I have. It is just your own personal preferance as with anything.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Let me rephrase what I said in my post. I agree with the complaints that I have read about the Wally Marshall signature crappie reel. The brake on my reel does not work in either position, the drag will not work either. Pretty looking reel though. It is real smooth winding also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast