Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: catalpa worms

Post Thanks / Like

Default catalpa worms

Has anyone used catalpa worms for crappie? They are excellent on bream. When I was younger I used to go to the catalpa tree with my dad and pick worms off the leaves. He's not with us anymore and its been so long ago I don't remember what time of year we picked worms. Is anyone familiar with catalpa worms?

Post Thanks / Like

About the only one's i know of that use the worms here in GA. Is the folks who fish for catfish.

I"ve never heard of anyone useing them for Crappie may work though.

Post Thanks / Like

Every time I say I'm gonna try them, I can't find any. They don't come back to my trees every year. So I got no clue.

Post Thanks / Like

I drive by several catalpa trees almost every day. There are a dozen of these trees that grow along the side of the road right down from my house. But these are big trees that stand over 100 ft tall.

Are you guys picking the worms of the small imature trees or using a long ladder? Seriously.

I read were some guys put a tarp down on the ground below the tree and the worms fall out of the tree and onto the tarp.

All these trees are on private property and I don't know the people that own the trees. I do know one family that has some of these trees right across the road from their house. I may stop by there someday if I am not in a big hurry and chat with Charlie and his wife. I dated one of their daughters many years ago and still see the wife at the local Ice Rink from time to time. The family were all professional ice capade skaters and I have known them ever since I got out of HS. Every time we had ice at the local Stadium I would run into the mom and her daughters. I was always at the ice rink back in those days during the winter months and at the lake swimming during the summer months. The fall and spring were reserved for my fishing trips.

I have heard that they are good bait if you can get them. I don't even know what they look like.

I went fishing today with the fly rods. Caught and released about 30 brim.

Saw some fish at the edge of LOON pit this evening and talked to a guy that was fishing there. He said they were his aquarium fish. He had just released them into the lake. I guess he didn't know about the law prohibiting doing that without a State Stocking Permit. The fish were said to be cyclids.
    I wonder if they will take over the lake in time? We have some real fools around here and this guy had no clue as to what harm he could have done by dumping these exotic fish into the lake. I hope that they don't harm the ecosystem or overrun the place in a few year. He told me that these fish can live in salt and fresh water. But I am not sure I believe anything this guy said. I going to do some research to find out what these fish can do to a lake.

Saw a woman in a bass boat this afternoon in the same lake. Her husban was diving for his lost wedding ring. Evidently he had lost it in the lake about 100 yards from the shore. Trouble is the ring fell in only 6ft of water but the water is chocked with submergent vegetation. The guy will really be lucky if he can find the ring. They don't allow swimming in these pits so I hope he does not get into trouble. LOL I suppose the game warden may make an exception in this case. He had to go home and tell his wife that he lost his wedding ring. Then she came back to the lake with him to help him find it. When I got there he was in the water diving with a face mask. Later before I left she took her turn diving for his wedding band. Hell I would just go buy another ring if I were him. He will never find that ring in that mucky bottom without a magnet. I bet that he gets to sleep on the floor tonight. HEHE They were both still diving when I finally left the pits to go back home.

I was going to fish more but it rained most of the day and there were scattered thunderstorms with lighting all around. So I just fished from the bank. I hit three different lakes before coming back home.

Went crappie fishing yesterday and caught about 12 nice fish. Took them home and cleaned them. Got to have a crappie dinner soon.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Around here the biological control bugs released to help with corn borer etc have wiped out the catalpa worms. Very rare to see any or the months that lay the eggs.

Post Thanks / Like

We only use them for Catfish around here. I can see where they would work for gills. But since about anything will work for gills. I rather use the worms for cats. They work real good.

We have to get ladders to get into the trees. Some times we get lucky and find them low. But most of the time, it's in the trees we go.
    Stay legal.

Post Thanks / Like

I used some yesterday fishing for Gills & Shellcrackers.Never thought about tryin them for Crappie but i bet they would be good on jigs??The bright green color sure ought to attract them! I did catch some dandys, it was my first time using them but not my last.
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    I drive by several catalpa trees almost every day. There are a dozen of these trees that grow along the side of the road right down from my house. But these are big trees that stand over 100 ft tall.

Are you guys picking the worms of the small imature trees or using a long ladder? Seriously.

I read were some guys put a tarp down on the ground below the tree and the worms fall out of the tree and onto the tarp.

All these trees are on private property and I don't know the people that own the trees. I do know one family that has some of these trees right across the road from their house. I may stop by there someday if I am not in a big hurry and chat with Charlie and his wife. I dated one of their daughters many years ago and still see the wife at the local Ice Rink from time to time. The family were all professional ice capade skaters and I have known them ever since I got out of HS. Every time we had ice at the local Stadium I would run into the mom and her daughters. I was always at the ice rink back in those days during the winter months and at the lake swimming during the summer months. The fall and spring were reserved for my fishing trips.

I have heard that they are good bait if you can get them. I don't even know what they look like.

I went fishing today with the fly rods. Caught and released about 30 brim.

Saw some fish at the edge of LOON pit this evening and talked to a guy that was fishing there. He said they were his aquarium fish. He had just released them into the lake. I guess he didn't know about the law prohibiting doing that without a State Stocking Permit. The fish were said to be cyclids.
    I wonder if they will take over the lake in time? We have some real fools around here and this guy had no clue as to what harm he could have done by dumping these exotic fish into the lake. I hope that they don't harm the ecosystem or overrun the place in a few year. He told me that these fish can live in salt and fresh water. But I am not sure I believe anything this guy said. I going to do some research to find out what these fish can do to a lake.

Saw a woman in a bass boat this afternoon in the same lake. Her husban was diving for his lost wedding ring. Evidently he had lost it in the lake about 100 yards from the shore. Trouble is the ring fell in only 6ft of water but the water is chocked with submergent vegetation. The guy will really be lucky if he can find the ring. They don't allow swimming in these pits so I hope he does not get into trouble. LOL I suppose the game warden may make an exception in this case. He had to go home and tell his wife that he lost his wedding ring. Then she came back to the lake with him to help him find it. When I got there he was in the water diving with a face mask. Later before I left she took her turn diving for his wedding band. Hell I would just go buy another ring if I were him. He will never find that ring in that mucky bottom without a magnet. I bet that he gets to sleep on the floor tonight. HEHE They were both still diving when I finally left the pits to go back home.

I was going to fish more but it rained most of the day and there were scattered thunderstorms with lighting all around. So I just fished from the bank. I hit three different lakes before coming back home.

Went crappie fishing yesterday and caught about 12 nice fish. Took them home and cleaned them. Got to have a crappie dinner soon.
    Bet it will be a long dry spell for that guy that lost his wedding ring if his wife was out looking for it also. He may get lucky and get to sleep on the floor in the bedroom. May get booted from the bedroom.
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Post Thanks / Like

Never tried crappie fishing with them, but we tear the catfish up on yo yos using them. Around here June 15 to July 15 is the best time to find them. Here is a trick that we use so we can have them all summer. When we find them we put 50 to a bag and freeze them in a mixture of water and green food coloring. When we get ready to go fishing we get a bag out of the freezer and go. If you don't use the green food coloring they will turn black.
    Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
    Ronald Reagan -

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know if your question has been answered but here in Arkansas we load up on the worms in the late part of May thru mid June. You may want to do some searches on the web for times they will produce in your area. All I know is fish love them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast