Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asian Carp in Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Default Asian Carp in Lake Shelbyville

I just read an article written by Jeff Lampe, outdoor writer for the Peoria Journal Star, that Steve Welch caught a 32 pound Asian Carp in Lake Shelbyville. I know there is a heavy infestation of them in the Illinois River, but I can't figure out how they would get past the two dams at Carlyle and Shelbyville to get into the lake. Has anyone else got any information on this?
    Ken

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default carp

first I,ve heard of them ---keep posting if you read more
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Just got a message from Don Satterfield who talked with Steve Welch via telephone. He said Steve caught a 32 lb. buffalo and not an Asian carp. I am relieved to hear that news. Can't understand how Jeff Lampe got the bad information. It will be interesting to see if Lampe makes the correction in the paper.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

The type of carp you are talking about are often startled by boat motor noises and will jump in the air making themselves a hazzard for boaters, especially those going fast. Can you imagion the bass boys with their 200 hp motors running at full speed having these carp jump up in front of their boats? It may have some of them to have second thoughts about opening up those big motors.
    I am glad those carp are not in Shelbyville.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Asian Carp

We have several people from our area that owns cabins on the Illinois and have told me that they suspect that the asian carp population explosion on the Illinois has depleted the shad population which has made it very difficult for the fish population in the river to survive.

They have also told of some very bad experiences that boaters have had with the asian carp getting into boats. They claim pontoon boats for some reason seem to really attract the carp.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there guys, I fish on the Mississippi River around the St.Peters, Mo area and see these ugly looking things all the time out there. Since the fish population pretty much sucks here anyway, the fishing really hasn't been effected much. I don't catfish out there so I don't know if thats been effected much either. All I know is that I don't think I want one hitting me in the chest at 80+ mph. I would think that would sting a little bit. Hope you guys don't wind up with the same problem. Good fishing!

Wardy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crappieken
    I just read an article written by Jeff Lampe, outdoor writer for the Peoria Journal Star, that Steve Welch caught a 32 pound Asian Carp in Lake Shelbyville. I know there is a heavy infestation of them in the Illinois River, but I can't figure out how they would get past the two dams at Carlyle and Shelbyville to get into the lake. Has anyone else got any information on this?
    They can get anywhere that guys throw their remaining "minnows" back in the lake. Most folks can't tell the little fish apart . DO NOT THROW UN-USED BAIT IN THE LAKE!!!.

Wardy

Post Thanks / Like

To demonstrate how abundant Asian carp are in the Illinois River, a bowfishing tournament two weeks ago on the Illinois River out of Henry produced 442 fish for the winning team, many of which were Asian carp weighing 15 to 20 lbs.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I can tell you first hand that they hurt when they hit you at idle let alone under power. We have them in the Wabash and Ohio as well. Biggest fear for the lakes is people collecting their bait in areas infested and getting some of their minnows. Don't discard in the lakes. Bad enough that some escape on their own. Rend won't let you gather bait within a 1000 feet of the dam in the tailwaters now. The young look much like shad. Bad thing is that people will still get their bait from other areas. Its just a matter of time.

On a good note, the main infestationsI have seen are in areas that normally have pretty good current nearby. you don't here much of them jumping in the boats at Ky lake but there have been some caught in the lake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast