Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: walleye below truman

Post Thanks / Like

Default walleye below truman

we tried walleye on sat below truman dam. the conditions wernt the best for any fishing really but went out anyway. we stuggled with the walleye and turned to the ole crappie and caught a few but would really like to figure those wallies out down there. anyone have any tips or pointers or any info on what to use, do, ect. about to use the ole one stick method as i have tried to catch a wallie down there on several occasions, with very little luck anything would help. thanks fellow anglers.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you fishing out of a boat or on the bank?

Post Thanks / Like

fishing from a boat

Post Thanks / Like

I by no means am good at catching Walleye and still have a lot to learn. I like to use the following methods.

Trolling with crank baits, usually there are two of us in the boat and we put out 4 rods with different baits on each. I will put deep, medium, and shallow divers on to cover different depths. I do the following with multiple rods out tip jigs such as road runners with minnows or night crawlers and slow troll or drift over an area I think would hold fish. I also do the following with hook and bait, with hooks I usually put a weight on the bottom and put 2 hooks on each line. I hook the minnows through the lips and most times hook the night crawlers through the nose. You can also hook the night crawler weedless by running the hook through the nose and they running the hook further down the body and hooking it but not going all the way through. You can also use a syringe and pump air into the night crawler so it floats.

With all this said I catch more walleye crappie fishing then I have ever caught just fishing for Walleye.

Post Thanks / Like

For me that is a tough place to fish but here goes. Best is when the Corps is running water start about dark and stay late, bump and drag jigs across the bottom with plastic curly tails, charteuse is probably the best. I did hear of some guys slow rolling Rogues at night, and some a doing well with gulp, take plenty of jigs as you will lose a lot of them. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

How deep of water are you guys trolling in at night or day for that matter for the walleyes?

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys for all the good info. never have tried it at night but gonna def. give it a try. were pretty close on the methods described and will for sure keep trying. thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

For myself I have done much better by fishing on the spillway side, dark cloudy days and evenings and early morning, look for eddies in the current and drag the same jigs and stuff around on the bottom or a least try to just touch a rock now and then. A friend of mine uses a large bass tube and does quite well with it. Take lots of jigs and plenty of cheap plastic. I have never done well trolling from the dam to below 65 bridge, although I know people that have, for me the trick is to use a heavy enough jig to get to the bottom, and if they not running water forget it, go up on the lake and crappie fish!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STL Crappie Nightmare View Post
    How deep of water are you guys trolling in at night or day for that matter for the walleyes?
    It depends on where the shad are, I have trolled in as little as 6 feet and as deep as 50. I use my trolling motor since my big motor will not go slow enough. I usually troll between 1.2 and 1.8 mph for crank baits and either drift or use the trolling motor to just keep the boat moving slowly.

Post Thanks / Like

What about KK island? We tried the south end of it on Wed but really didn't put a good effort into it as the crappie fishing wasn't too bad. Crappie kind of shut off around noon so we headed to the island to try for some walleye with no luck, but soon headed back to the timber for more crappie. Any tips on the walleye around that area. I have a hard time catching walleye around this area, maybe Canada has spoiled me bc it seems so easy up north.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast