Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: could use some advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default could use some advice

Well, I went to the lake this morning (yes it was cold)

Not even a nibble casting from shore. I was hoping to catch either some Sun fish or even Crappie. Tried some crickets and then some Red-worms - set my bobber about 18 inches from my hook. Gave it time and tried out a ways and near share. NOTHING. Not even a nibble.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong. (as you can guess I am not a very experienced Angler)

Thanks for any advice related to the question.:o

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Welcomb........nooob

Use green worms this time of the year.......
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there Fishnoob, I don't know where you are located but here in AR. we are catching some with a jig under a bobber about a foot. We're catching a few prespawn males cruising around the banks. Our water temp here is about 55 degrees.
    Keep at it and you'll find 'em.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

It's still a little cold Noob depending on where your at. You can always increase your odds if you find some type of brush or fallen tree in the water. Fish very close to the wood and your sure to catch something. Either crappie, perch, or bass. Minnows are a good choice of bait as well as worms and crickets. Try different depths with your bait. Experimenting never hurt anybody, and asking an oldtimer for advice is always good. Good luck and don't give up.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome noob! What part of the states do you live in? My advise to you is to do a little research on the lake. Talk around on here and you may find a group of folks that can offer some help to where they are biting. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

noob,

Welcome to the forum. Do a little reading here and you will learn a bunch...and you will meet some really nice (and knowlegable) folks!

I'd ask the advice of a local, like at one of the bait shops etc.

aj

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepster04 View Post
    Welcome noob! What part of the states do you live in? My advise to you is to do a little research on the lake. Talk around on here and you may find a group of folks that can offer some help to where they are biting. Good luck
    I was fishing Whiteville lake in Whiteville, TN. It's near Bolivar TN. about 20 miles west of Jackson. Maybe it was just too cold, but being from Michigan the cold never seemed to be a biting factor.

Maybe down mid-south here they just like the warm temps. I tried fishing close to fallen logs and such, but no luck. Maybe that other guy was right and I should have tried green worms.

Then again perhaps that lake is just over fished. Maybe I will try a different lake next time in warmer weather. When is the best season to fish in the mid-south?

I want me some BlueGill and crappie on the grill soon.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishnoob View Post
    I was fishing Whiteville lake in Whiteville, TN. It's near Bolivar TN. about 20 miles west of Jackson. Maybe it was just too cold, but being from Michigan the cold never seemed to be a biting factor.

Maybe down mid-south here they just like the warm temps. I tried fishing close to fallen logs and such, but no luck. Maybe that other guy was right and I should have tried green worms.

Then again perhaps that lake is just over fished. Maybe I will try a different lake next time in warmer weather. When is the best season to fish in the mid-south?

I want me some BlueGill and crappie on the grill soon.:D
    Hey Fishnoob, last year my son had a bass tourny there in late April and I watched folks loading up on big bluegill.

They were fishing by the big oak tree past the restrooms down that dead end road. Don't give up it's a great little lake. Try again after a few warm days and maybe get some minnows and try along the rip rap on the levee.

You might catch the crappie bunched up along those rocks.
    Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

The cold front that came through should have moved the fish a little deeper. Try casting out as far as you can with a slip bobber and fish deeper. They might be on the first frop off from shore. Happens here in Pa all the time in the spring, nice days than a cold front comes through and pushes all the fish back out into deeper water.

Post Thanks / Like

Godd advice. Thanks guys.:D

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast