Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Braid Line and Slip Floats

Post Thanks / Like

Default Super Braid Line and Slip Floats

I have never tried using a slip bobber on braided line does it work the same as using mono?

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think the line goes through the float as good I used braid all last year until I looked at the tip eye and it had grooves cut all in it but the good side you will hardly ever have to chase down a float or retie

Post Thanks / Like

Default worn tips?

Quote Originally Posted by mopar4x4 View Post
    I dont think the line goes through the float as good I used braid all last year until I looked at the tip eye and it had grooves cut all in it but the good side you will hardly ever have to chase down a float or retie
    what kind of braid were you using? i have had spiderwire on the same bass rod for 10 or 12 years . it is the rod i fish the most and i can find NO signs f wear on the guides. i have heard that it wears on them so i have checked for years and have yet to see any wear.

Post Thanks / Like

I use braid on one spare spool almost all the time its great.
    BUT the stop knot gets hung up at the top of the spool so if you are casting any distance its not as good as mono.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Tip eye wear ...

Quote Originally Posted by mopar4x4 View Post

... or "grooving" is usually caused by the tip eye being aluminum. The newer metal ones, and the ones with ceramic inserts aren't affected by braid. Changing out the tip eye with one of these, will also help keep the grooves from fraying your line ... esp. if you switch to mono on that outfit

You can always use a little extra weight, added to the line, to help pull the braid thru a slip float. But, you're right, wet braid doesn't seem to want to slip thru the float core near as easily as mono ... especially when using light weight jigs.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Try enlarging the tip on both ends of the floats. If you look very carefully, most floats have a small taper right at the tip. Enlarge this to the same inside dimension of the stem. You'll find the braided line will slip through much easier.
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

Post Thanks / Like

yeah I changed the tip it must have been alumin It was the suffix braid the other poles I had braid on was micro fuse they where ok but they didnt see near the abuse that that pole had

Post Thanks / Like

good thread
    Reel foot yankee

Post Thanks / Like

If you use the little rubber bobber stops, you have to keep in mind the diameter of your line...8 lbs strength braid is only 2 lbs diameter, so you have to get a smaller rubber stop. If you use string, it doesn't matter.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used slip floats with both power pro & suffix braid(bright orange color). Power pro works OK, sometimes it doesn't want to slide thru bobber but no real problem. Suffix I found is so slippery that my tied knot bobber stops had to be re tighten all the time cause that suffix is so slick, but it sure is great for tieing a jig direct to it & casting out no bobber, that jig goes a mile. Gonna go back to using Gamma 4# on my float poles.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast