Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: increase knot strength

Post Thanks / Like

Default increase knot strength

Thought maybe some of you would find this interesting

March 2, 2009

Use Heat To Cut Line And Increase Knot Strength
    When you tie and test hundreds of fishing knots under controlled conditions, some unexpected things bubble to the surface.

Like the positive effects of concentrated heat...

Early during the testing phase of Knot Wars this year, NAFC Executive Director Steve Pennaz and team used both line scissors and the new Berkley TEC Hotwire Superline Cutter to remove the tag end from tied knots.

The TEC Superline Cutter's titanium tip heats to 1,200 degrees to instantly burn through any fishing line. In the process, it cauterizes the tag end, leaving a small bead of molten line that instantly cools and hardens.

This bead, Pennaz found, had an enormous impact on the break strength of knots tied with superline—sometimes doubling or even tripling the strength of the knot!

Most knots that fail when tied with a superline didn't actually break, they slipped. Using slow-motion video, the Knot Wars team watched as the hardened ball would jam against the knot and prevent slippage.

Heat generated by the sun, friction or flame remains a mortal enemy of line integrity, so you should still lubricate a knot with saliva before cinching it tight. But concentrated heat deserves another look-see from anglers seeking an edge.

Watch knot war videos on line

Post Thanks / Like

make sure you check the links out or watch the videos

Post Thanks / Like

Actually why wouldn't that same tip apply to mono as well?? I've taught a few simple knots to kids and the same thing happens when they rush tying it, slippage.

Have to give it a shot and see what happens.

Fatman

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Same principal ....

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Actually why wouldn't that same tip apply to mono as well?? I've taught a few simple knots to kids and the same thing happens when they rush tying it, slippage.
    Have to give it a shot and see what happens.
    Fatman
    .... and it should render the same results

I've even been known to tie a granny knot close to the main knot, as extra insurance against slippage. It takes a slightly longer tag end, to be left after tying the main knot, to allow the granny knot to be tied in ... but, it serves the same purpose as the molten bead. I've done it on braid and mono, but only in rare instances. (it's not something I do on every tie )

... cp