Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: any tips for Lake Kincaid?

Post Thanks / Like

Default any tips for Lake Kincaid?

dh and i own a little camp site on Lake Kincaid. We've caught a few small crappie and a couple of keepers. Last Fall i met a guy who had a stringer of nice slabs! So we KNOW they are there.

Any hints on how to fish for crappie in this lake? i was thinking of using a Kentucky jig/gig. and fishing deep (10 ft or more). jiggin and bobbin at structure just ain't working.

Post Thanks / Like

ok. i went out on my "girl's only fishing weekend" and we caught a lot of small ones (4 - 6 inches) but brought home a stringer of six 9 - 10 inchers.

i saw many men out there crappie fishing too. any of you guys on this board? i noticed two gentlemen spider riggin and floating on down the lake. i'm wondering how they did.

i'm wondering if people could approach the KY dept of fish and wildlife about enhancing lake kincaid for fishing for pan fish. what do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Kincaid lake Crappie

I fish Kincaid several times a year for crappie and bass. Most of the crappie I catch are between 4-8". Occasionally, I will catch a few over 9", but the lake is full of small ones. I like to fish across from the beach area or swimming pool. I troll with black and chartreuse 1/16 oz jigs. If I catch a bunch in one area, I will stop and fan cast the area and usually pick more up in that area. I troll in water 8-15' deep on that bank. I start shallow then work deeper until I find the bigger fish. If you know where there is deep structure I would concentrate there. Fish deep for the bigger fish. Off the point where the paddle boats are there used to be a big tree about 50 yards off the point and you can usually catch crappie there, around 12' deep there. I would put out your own brush piles or homemade cane or pvc trees in about 12-20' of water near the creek channel. This is where you will catch your big crappie next spring early. look on site under crappie structure.
    Bassky
    from Alexandria

Post Thanks / Like

thanks! the rocky point near the little marine is where we caught a few by trolling. i don't think we were deep enough..but we were catching them. and then there's the spot right in back of the little marina shop.

i've emailed the KY fish and wildlife to find out if they have any policies with regard to the placement of artificial habitat and if there was anyway they could work on the fishery there.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kincaid

Fishergurl,
    The place I was refering to was next to the swimming pool. Where they rent the paddleboats/picnic area. I went to Williamstown Lake, Saturday, only caught 10, only one over 10".
    Bassky