Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mercury out board carb work

Post Thanks / Like

Default mercury out board carb work

i have an 89' mercury 115hp inline 6 motor. when you first start it up it takes off and runs great. then it seem almost like it starts to flood out and bog down. if you stop sometimes it dies sometimes it just wont take off again. when you try to accelerate it just bogs down or dies,. if you shut it off and tilt the motor up the it looks like fuel just pours out of the middle carb. if you let it drain out and sit for a while and evaporate then it starts up and runs great again for a few minutes. a friend (auto mechanic) looked at it and said that the middle carb had a needle and seat stuck? for me to get a carb get and change them out and it should be fine. i have never done anything to a carb before. he said it was very simple. i was just wondering if any mechanic's out there thought that this sounded like the carb is my problem? does this sound like it might fix the problem? is this something , someone with very little carb experience can do? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance. bigfish5

Post Thanks / Like

What he is telling you could be it. It also could be the float in the carb could be stuck to causing that one carb to flood. If it was me and I was going to take that one carb off I would take all three off and at least clean them good. That way when I went back with them I would know that they didn't have trash in them. We do boat work at my dads and we do alot of carb work. Thats my opinion on it and if you have never done one I would get sumone who knows about them to help you if ur going to do it yourself.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, all the carbs should be taken apart, thoroughly cleaned, and reassembled with new needle and seats and gaskets. When done install a 10 micron water/seperator filter.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone Know Of Someone With Experience That Lives North Of Birmingham , Al? I Live About 25 Miles North Of Birmingham Off I-65.

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When done install a 10 micron water/seperator filter.

I read somewhere on another forum that Mercury 2 strokes should not be equipped with anything less than a 25 micron filter. It was something about it would cause a vacuum or something in the line. Has anyone heard this before, or did I dream it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poppop View Post
    When done install a 10 micron water/seperator filter.

I read somewhere on another forum that Mercury 2 strokes should not be equipped with anything less than a 25 micron filter. It was something about it would cause a vacuum or something in the line. Has anyone heard this before, or did I dream it?
    i was with my dad this past monday at the shop getting his 200hp outboard worked on. i asked the mechanic. he said not to put a 10 micron filter on mercury outboards. he said that they already had a filter on the side of the motor. he said just once a year take it loose and pour it out to make sure it didnt have any water in it. he said it was all you needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish5 View Post
    i was with my dad this past monday at the shop getting his 200hp outboard worked on. i asked the mechanic. he said not to put a 10 micron filter on mercury outboards. he said that they already had a filter on the side of the motor. he said just once a year take it loose and pour it out to make sure it didnt have any water in it. he said it was all you needed.
    Would this be a water seperator filter he's talking about, and what year/HP ranges on Mercurys?
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvjign View Post
    Would this be a water seperator filter he's talking about, and what year/HP ranges on Mercurys?
    yes he called the filer on the side a water seperator. it is a 1999 mercuty 200hp efi. i am not sure about other models. i have already installed a seperate 10 micron filter in the crappie boat i have been redoing. the one i need the carb work done on. i just have not installed the fuel tank yet or put new fuel lines on the boat. i have been working on the 115 merc with a 6 gallon plastic tank like would normally go with a small outboard.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvjign View Post
    I believe the newer motors have a water seperator installed. Older motors have a filter but they are not much more than a strainer. 10 and 20 micron filters are very common in outboards. I've always ran a 10. BoatUS.com: Trailering Club
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Did a google on it, and come across this: Mercury/Mariner Outboard Shop Manual ... - Google Book Search Looks like 115 - 225 HP have a canister type, and the 75 & 90 have a standard inline particulate filter??
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast