Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New to Kentucky Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Question New to Kentucky Lake

I am going to be fishing Kentucky Lake for the first time the first full week in April. Is there any advice on bait, tackle or rigging that might be specific to Kentucky Lake? Here in Iowa a jig and minnow fished under a slip bobber is generally the rule. Chartreuse, black and white twisters are the mainstay. I will be staying at WHISPERING OAKS RESORT and will have my boat. Any and all advice would be appreciated.

GOOD FISHING:D

Post Thanks / Like

where is the resort and what part of the lake are u thinking of fishing

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on what the temperature does the first week in april could be great. if you here the fish are spawning then the technique you are used to will work . the main thing is to find some structure like stake beds or brush piles orange/chartruese or read/chartreuse are usually great colors

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

It is at the north end of the lake just off of Big Bear Hwy also Johnathon creek area

Post Thanks / Like

do you shoot docks ?
    Allatoona Bandit

Post Thanks / Like

Depends alot on the weather/water conditions.Red/Chart,lime green/chart,yellow/chart,pumpkin/chart,pink/white,blue/white midsouth or southern pro tubes are some of my mainstays.Also red/chart and junebug/chart Charlie Brewer slider grubs are really good if fish will chase a jig. Try to check back here or specifically the Kentucky forum closer to time and we'll try to point you in the right direction. I'm not one of the more knowledgeable Kentucky Lake fisherman, but there are some on here that are really good. Be glad to help anyway I can if we can't get one of the more experienced guys to chime in.
    2018 Crappie Masters Kentucky/Tennessee State Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone, keep the info coming

Post Thanks / Like

Default Some Things To Keep In Mind

Kentucky Lake is a great lake. It is also a dangerous, tough lake. There is a lot of shallow water areas on Kentucky Lake and you can seriously damage a boat if you are not careful. Get a good map and study it carefully. Also listen closely to the weather forecast while you are there. Any wind out of the north or south can make this lake a killer.

With all of that understood the Jonathan Creek area is one of the better areas to fish but it is not your typical float and minnow lake. Much of the good fishing is well off the banks on cover and structure that does not lend itself to bobber fishing to a great degree. It is better fished by drifting or trolling jigs with tube baits and other small plastics.

I would encourage you to personal message Wiskers on this forum. He knows the lake and its method as well as anyone. You also might want to consider hiring a guide one day. If the weather cooperates and you can get on fish you can have a great trip. Good luck!!!

Gopreach

Post Thanks / Like

One of these days I'll get south and be able to fish the SLAB lakes and I can't wait. Would definately do some homework well before going though.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Should be good fish'n

Quote Originally Posted by dadapelz View Post
    I am going to be fishing Kentucky Lake for the first time the first full week in April. Is there any advice on bait, tackle or rigging that might be specific to Kentucky Lake? Here in Iowa a jig and minnow fished under a slip bobber is generally the rule. Chartreuse, black and white twisters are the mainstay. I will be staying at WHISPERING OAKS RESORT and will have my boat. Any and all advice would be appreciated.

GOOD FISHING:D
    By the time you get here the blacks should be headed toward post spawm & the whites wile be moving in. The white should be in the 3 to 7' range depending on water color. All the colors that have been mentioned are good but my presonal fav. that time of year is a Chartruse marabo road runner in 1/16 oz. Deaddddddly! I also like casting a Wally Marshall rattling bobber with a 1/16 or 1/32 oz jig with the colors mentioned. I prefer the 2" tubes. seems like the bigger fish like the larger profile baits. You can also try spider rig'n the shallow flats in the back of JC. Remember, the clearer the water the deeper you find'um. They might spawn as deep as 7' if the water's gin clear.

The blacks should be move'n out but may still be spawning. You can still catch'um fish'n high on deeper brush along the creeks. Also cast to chunk rock banks late in the day & early in the mornings.

Everything depends on the weather.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff