Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Help needed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help needed

I just replaced the batteries in my pontoon and when I try to start the motor ,it seems to not spin fast and the battery cables get very hot. It started fine last summer,but now it won't fire a lick.any suggestions to the cause would be helpful. Thanks

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Make sure the batteries are fully charged. Probably 90% of starting problems are due to bad cable/connection. Make sure all connections are very clean and tight. Look for any signs of corrosion, especially at the base of the lugs. They can corrode inside where you can't see it. If you see any signs of corrosion, replace the lug or cable.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

if connections are good make sure that the cables don't have corrrosion in them. seen alot of old cables with this problem.. make sure you have a good ground also.

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Replaced one on a kenworth this weekend...the inside of the cable was corroded...outside looked fine...that stuff will creep all around in there. You have to cut the wire back until it stops...then put your connector on.

I would also try a different battery...maybe the one off your vehicle...see if it does the same thing.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

Bad cables or a loose connection are good possibilities and the first things to check. Trying another battery is next. After that, I'd pull the starter and have a shop test it. They can go bad with just the symptoms you describe.