Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many other C.C er's know what Arc Flash is?

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How many other C.C er's know what Arc Flash is?

Man, I just finished training in Arc Flash, gory beyond words. I do this stuff daily and forget what I'm getting into and become complacent. Not anymore. The company has ground to a halt trying to get us the right gear for this.

This guy is just "racking" a breaker(looks like), routine maint. Watch and learn.
    YouTube - Arc flash Accident
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Post Thanks / Like

We get yearly training on Arc Flash. we have one guy here get burned bad throwing a disconnect. We have to wear Nomex uniforms. They are hot in the summer but worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

And that's why I'm in sales, be safe out there guys
    Goodnight Vienna...Pistols Firing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappisaurusrex View Post
    We get yearly training on Arc Flash. we have one guy here get burned bad throwing a disconnect. We have to wear Nomex uniforms. They are hot in the summer but worth it.
    My company is buying us suits, but they can't decide between 11 cal and 25, I told them forget it until I see 1000 volt gloves and at least 25 cal coverall set with blast shield. Its only a matter of time before we're standing in front of a panel and get some transient voltage or a direct fault.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, arc-flash is brutal! I worked with a fellow that had it happen to him. His face is just a jumble of scars. Has no eyebrows anymore. Lucky for him he didn't lose his vision. Be safe, men. I know next to nothing about electricity, so this may be silly to some, but, I am wondering how much chance there is of that happening to someone at their home?
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

We have to have the flash suit on anytime we open any door from 480v to 13.8v Thank goodness we haven't had any accident. Have seen more than a few who have some bad scars from flash burns
    Ga_redland
    Lincolnton Ga

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zinsurance View Post
    And that's why I'm in sales, be safe out there guys
    Yep, I believe I'll stick with accounting.
    Mistah Kurtz - he dead
    A penny for the Old Guy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beenfishin? View Post
    Yep, arc-flash is brutal! I worked with a fellow that had it happen to him. His face is just a jumble of scars. Has no eyebrows anymore. Lucky for him he didn't lose his vision. Be safe, men. I know next to nothing about electricity, so this may be silly to some, but, I am wondering how much chance there is of that happening to someone at their home?
    According to my NTT instructor for the class it happens in homes too. Transient voltage can come from anywhere. Of course in our 277/480 environment we face fatalities and horrific disfiguration. But someone with their hand on a light switch or breaker at home is going to get a nasty surprise too.

Figures show we still lose about 1000 guys a year (death and or injury), use to be 30,000 in the 60's. So far your home is far more dangerous because no one at home thinks about arc flash, faults, or ghost voltage. NTT says every single day we lose someone in the field to arc flash.

This doesn't include total electrocution and or shocks which kill days later. So far so good, I've only done up to 277 about once a year. Hurts like hell, but I'm not tougin' it out anymore. Going to the doc from now on.

kycreek is online now Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I work in a coal fired power plant. And yes our operators wear the nomex suits also when racking out breakers. I'm glad I'm in the maintenance department. It's a very dangerous industry.

Post Thanks / Like

It is something that you had better never take for granted. It's the one time , you take a shortcut that will kill you. Every time you come in close contact with any live or potentially live circuits,,,,,PLEASE wear the proper PPE. And always remember the approach distances. And just because you work with 480 circuits all day, is no excuse to think lightly of 120. There is a reason that gfci's shut down at 6 ma.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast