PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Eyeglass Options

slabbandit
02-26-2009, 09:43 PM
I am probably fixing to get some prescription eyeglasses pretty soon. Can't hardly see what my my cork is doing on a long cast. I don't know what options I should really look at getting. Don't wan't to spend money for something that I don't really need.:confused:
I'm really undecided about "transitions" lens most of all. I don't have a problem with getting apair of "Cocoon" over the glasses polorized sunglasses as I will probably choose a small frame glasses. I want no-line progressive bi-focals because I have trouble tying jigs and hooks.
Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

deathb4disco
02-26-2009, 09:48 PM
I am probably fixing to get some prescription eyeglasses pretty soon.

Have you ruled out contacts? I've been wearing 'em for almost thirty years --much more comfortable than glasses, IMO.

This is something you really need to discuss with your eye doctor, though.

treedawg20
02-26-2009, 09:53 PM
I have the transitions in bifocals and dont really like them.You get a few drops of water on them and then dry them off and can see the drops for a few mins..Tommy

luvjign
02-26-2009, 10:03 PM
A topic I'm interested in. I'm farsighted (can't see objects close up), and it's getting worse quickly. I'm up to a 2.25 reader lens and holding, but it's getting bad quickly, to the point I can't see 14' rod tips real good anymore. This makes me think nearsightedness is coming into the picture. My question is, does anybody here wear bi-focal contact lenses? My optometrist told me a couple of years ago that it was an option, but one of his nurse helpers descretely told me I would never get used to them. Just curious?

Cane Pole
02-26-2009, 10:23 PM
I wore trifocals for years. I now wear progressive and I highly recommend them. Been wearing progressives 15 years. I have the titanium frames. Very light. I could not adjust to wearing contacts.

I will have eye surgery sooner or later and get new lens implants. My wife is having eye surgery starting March 5.

Surgery is a good option if you have insurance or money.

Skiptomylou had the eye surgery. Ask him.

slabbandit
02-26-2009, 10:27 PM
I wasn't aware that you could get bifocals in a contact lense. May be worth checking into. I can see to drive OK but distant objects could be a lot clearer. Right now 1.50 reading glasses are good enough for up close.

slabbandit
02-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Hey Canepole, What is the advantage of having titanium frames? I've heard of them. Is it less weight or stronger frames or something?

Jerry Blake
02-26-2009, 10:38 PM
I have prescription Polorized sunglasses and I'm real happy with them for fishing. I'm near-sighted but I'm starting to have to look under my glasses to thread fishing line through a small hook eye but that works OK. I also haved a pair of transition glasses for driving and they don't get nearly as dark as I would like them to when I'm in a vehicle.

Also, I found out that the brown Poloarized sunglasses aren't quite as dark in low-light conditions as the green ones. I'm able to wear mine at dawn and dusk (since I need the prescription) and don't have to carry two pairs of glasses on the boat unless I'm out at night.

yankee doodler
02-26-2009, 10:39 PM
A topic I'm interested in. I'm farsighted (can't see objects close up), and it's getting worse quickly. I'm up to a 2.25 reader lens and holding, but it's getting bad quickly, to the point I can't see 14' rod tips real good anymore. This makes me think nearsightedness is coming into the picture. My question is, does anybody here wear bi-focal contact lenses? My optometrist told me a couple of years ago that it was an option, but one of his nurse helpers descretely told me I would never get used to them. Just curious?

I've been nearsighted for many years and have been wearing two diff. strength contacts for about 4 yrs. now. Takes the place of bifocals and/or bifocal contacts which I have never tried. Am a bowhunter so I wear the stronger one (for distance) in my right eye, and the weaker one (for reading up close) in my left. As with all new things it takes a week or so for your brain to adjust, but then all's well. Just another option.

luvjign
02-26-2009, 10:39 PM
I wasn't aware that you could get bifocals in a contact lense. May be worth checking into. I can see to drive OK but distant objects could be a lot clearer. Right now 1.50 reading glasses are good enough for up close.slabbandit, here's a link (one of many) that discusses the bifocal contacts............ Eye Doctor Q and A - Bifocal Contact Lenses, Monovision - AllAboutVision.com (http://www.allaboutvision.com/askdoc/bifocal-contact-lenses.htm) But, from all I've read (including this one), they are really hard to get used to. I'm having headaches regularly these day, and I think it's vision related. I've about got to the point where I can't fight it anymore. My work requires looking at a lot of very small detail, and it gets old putting on readers constantly. What really bothers me though is it's starting to affect my fishin'........and that's when it's time to do something about it!!!

Cane Pole
02-26-2009, 10:40 PM
Hey Canepole, What is the advantage of having titanium frames? I've heard of them. Is it less weight or stronger frames or something?

Yep. Very light. Mine spring back into shape when bent.

luvjign
02-26-2009, 10:43 PM
I've been nearsighted for many years and have been wearing two diff. strength contacts for about 4 yrs. now. Takes the place of bifocals and/or bifocal contacts which I have never tried. Am a bowhunter so I wear the stronger one (for distance) in my right eye, and the weaker one (for reading up close) in my left. As with all new things it takes a week or so for your brain to adjust, but then all's well. Just another option.YD, I had to quit bow hunting about 5 years ago because of the nearsighted problem. It was a 25+ year passion I didn't want to give up, but I finally had to.

Cane Pole
02-26-2009, 10:47 PM
Yep. Very light. Mine spring back into shape when bent.

I usually get glassses every other year. i have my old glasses tinted for fishing. It is not polarized, but helps a lot. I got clip on polarized lenses. They are heavy and scratch easily. I just use the polar clip ons for driving. I can't see chit without my specs.

Cane Pole
02-26-2009, 10:49 PM
YD, I had to quit bow hunting about 5 years ago because of the nearsighted problem. It was a 25+ year passion I didn't want to give up, but I finally had to.

I understand. I keep my guns oiled and cleaned on schedule though...

slabbandit
02-26-2009, 10:55 PM
Hey Jerry, I only buy the polorized sunglasses at Wal-Mart in the light brown color too. I like the way that I can see well at dusk and dawn or on slightly overcast days. Can you get prescription polorized light brown sunglasses with progressive bifocals? If so I might would consider just getting plain glasses with progressive bifocals for indoors.

Cane Pole
02-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Hey Jerry, I only buy the polorized sunglasses at Wal-Mart in the light brown color too. I like the way that I can see well at dusk and dawn or on slightly overcast days. Can you get prescription polorized light brown sunglasses with progressive bifocals? If so I might would consider just getting plain glasses with progressive bifocals for indoors.

I am not Jerry, but, yes you can. I had them but I could not adjust to them. They were always just too light in shade for me.

Jerry Blake
02-26-2009, 11:04 PM
Hey Jerry, I only buy the polarized sunglasses at Wal-Mart in the light brown color too. I like the way that I can see well at dusk and dawn or on slightly overcast days. Can you get prescription polarized light brown sunglasses with progressive bifocals? If so I might would consider just getting plain glasses with progressive bifocals for indoors.

You probably can get progressive lenses that are Polarized.

slabbandit
02-26-2009, 11:39 PM
Thanks Tom, Jerry, and the rest of you guys for the comments. I feel a little better informed before I go for my eye exam.:)

Dave

GRIZZ
02-27-2009, 02:10 AM
Rimless Eyeglasses & Prescription Glasses on MyEyeglasses.NET (http://myeyeglasses.net/)

Scott S
02-27-2009, 05:29 AM
I am probably fixing to get some prescription eyeglasses pretty soon. Can't hardly see what my my cork is doing on a long cast. I don't know what options I should really look at getting. Don't wan't to spend money for something that I don't really need.:confused:
I'm really undecided about "transitions" lens most of all. I don't have a problem with getting apair of "Cocoon" over the glasses polorized sunglasses as I will probably choose a small frame glasses. I want no-line progressive bi-focals because I have trouble tying jigs and hooks.
Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

I've worn eyeglasses for more than 30 years and tried prescription sun and transition type several times with not much satisfaction, they are never really dark enough. Have used cocoon style overs for 4 or 5 years now and they work well for me.
When my time came for bifocal lens' the doctor said "go with lined, progressive too hard to get used to" The person where I bought my glasses argued for progressive and that's what I bought. Never a problem.
Scott

gone_fishing
02-27-2009, 05:47 AM
I had a pair of prescription sunglasses loved em. They weren't polarized when I saw the price on them I backed off replacing them. I use the cocoons. Now the Walmart, Kmart ones are junk. The ones at BPS are good. Less distortion polycarbonate lens so they don't scratch.

On prescription glasses I always buy polycarbonate lenses. They are light and durable glass is so heavy. Glass lenses are heavy and can be uncomfortable to wear at least for me.

rockmike
02-27-2009, 07:31 AM
I wear Maui Jim's polarized, progressive lens for fishing. I buy my reading glasses at WM, off the rack. I'm about to have to get progressive prescription glasses for everything. Terrible to get old.

PawPaw "gene"
02-27-2009, 08:28 AM
If you going with glasses, progressive lenses are the way to go. They do take a week or so to get use to but after that its all gravy. As for as the transitions lens, I opted out for 2 set of glasses, regular clear lenses and a set of polarized. The polarized set I drive and fish with and the clear lenses are for daily use. Just make sure you discuss at length with your doctor the differences and most importantly the advantages and disadvantages of the different solutions. There is no perfect solution and no matter what you choose there will be some compromises. Nothing will replace natural 20/20 but you can get something that is bearable. Good luck.

"gene"

foul hook
02-27-2009, 09:31 AM
I am near sighted in one eye and far sighted in the other. tytanium, progressive, and polarized are the way to go. I paid in the neighborhood of $500.00 for my first pair. they are in 60 ft of water in westpoint. I had a lense replaced in my left eye, because of a cataract. You will have to wear corrective lens after sergery. You cant really appreciate sight until you dont have it for a while. The tytanium frame are worth the money.

sailfish1
02-27-2009, 10:06 AM
this is a great post. the medicine i am taking has affected my eyes very badly.when i go out in the sunlight, i have had to start wearing polarized glasses all the time. the optomitrist said i needed to buy the best i could afford since my eyes were hurt already. i contacted oakley and the same polarized glasses they sell in stores is the same lenses that are in their prescription glasses. the different color lenses are for lesser or more light penetration.

treedawg20
02-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Do any of yall that deer hunt and wear bifocals have any trouble looking thru.your scope or your binoculars?I have to take mine of to use them.Tommy

DRPEPPER
02-27-2009, 11:02 AM
It was a happy day when I finally tried contacts for normal use. I also use reading glasses instead of bifocal lenses. The draw backs are having a pair of glasses everywhere I can imagine. Car, truck, 2 boats, office, easychair, kitchen, bathroom (don't get cute, it is to trim the hair out of my ears), etc. I tried to use some 'script reading glasses. But, the doc can never get it right. The same with my lenses and the reason I don't wear glasses. He takes his best guess at what I need then I try the contacts out for a week before I re-order. You can't hardly do that with glasses. I changed doctors three times before I found one that wouldn't get insulted. I buy my reading glasses at Sam's. I usually find them 5 pair for around $20. I buy them 10 at a time because I can't remember where they are all at. Last time I looked, I had 4 pair in my fishing boat.
DP

GRIZZ
02-27-2009, 04:38 PM
I am near sighted and have astigmatism. I started out using glasses and switched to contacts for years. I used the new high permeable lenses for astigmatism. Acuvue Advance for Astigmatism. Nice comfortable lenses. I can usually keep them in all day, even sleep in them a couple hours without them gluing to my eyeballs. I got tired of taking lenses in and out this last year and started just using my glasses. Problem is, I just turned 45 and for about a year and a half my eye doc has been tellin me I should start using bifocals and I am resisting it.

A few years ago I ran across the site I posted earlier. Rimless Eyeglasses & Prescription Glasses on MyEyeglasses.NET (http://www.myeyeglasses.net) It looks like a great deal and they have nice frames. One of them is the ultralight titaniums that otherwise cost like $600 if you get them in the US. They have nikon titaniums too.

Lens options:
Higher Index Single Vision
thinner 1.61, 1.67 lenses
thinnest 1.74

Bifocal/Progressive Lenses
progressive lens, & tint
super short corridor progressive lens, & tint
progressive photochromic

Sunglasses & related
tinting
tinting w/ anti-reflection coating
photochromic
polarized

Other Tinting
gradient tint

Special Function
anti-radiation lens

shipahoy41
02-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Good post. Thanks for sharing the info.

hawkman
02-28-2009, 09:27 AM
Glad I saw this post, I am getting ready to get a new pair of glasses soon. I have been using the progressive bifocals with transition lenses since I started wearing glasses about 15 years ago. I have been satisfied with them although sometimes I wish they did get a little darker but no real ptoblem. I have some clip-ons when I am fishing but seldom ever use them. Don't like the idea of having to keep up with several pair & at $400-$500 a pair can't afford them either. I also have the polycarbonate lens, if I'm not mistaken they have to be glass to be polarized.

slabbandit
02-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Hey There DP, I know what you mean about misplacing them...I'm looking for 1 of 2 pair of readers right now!:confused:

horseshoer
02-28-2009, 09:58 AM
You darn Arkansas dudes, you just wouldnt listen, would ya? Yur paying the price for hustling out to the outhouse with the Sears bra section thumbnailed. You may as well continue on with yur lewd ways, git a seeing-eye dog that will bark when yur bobber goes under, wear the armband and take the feelin stick so you dont get hit going crossing the street to the Sears Mail Order Store for their new spring magazine.

02-28-2009, 01:15 PM
I would get my prescription from my eye doctor for your distance vision and for your arms length vision. That way you can see the bobber in the distance and tie on a jig also. Go to Zenni Optical and order a set of glasses with a lined bifocul for about $35. They look fine and are cheap. You can get some tint on them also if you like.

Make sure you get your PD# from your Doctor. this is the distance your pupils are apart. You will have to have this number for the glasses.

This is a cheap fix for some fishing glasses. If you knock them off and scratch them or lose them in the lake, just order more. Takes about 10 days to get them in the mail. Shipping is $4.95.

Gansett
02-28-2009, 02:02 PM
I like the Cocoon option. I am near-sighted, so that I have to take my glasses off to see up close. I've tried and tried bi-focals but just cannot get use to them, beside which, the close-vision part is not near as good as my own eyes. I put on my Cocoons and when I have to tie on a hook I slide my glasses up on my forehead.

thankfull
02-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Wearing sun glasses over prescription glasses is a pain for me I'll take the transitions.

slabbandit
02-28-2009, 04:25 PM
Thanks 32251! I'll check it out. One thing that I thought would be nice about wearing the "Cocoons" over my regular glasses is that water splashed around won't get on my prescription glasses thus keeping them clean.;)

skeetbum
02-28-2009, 11:25 PM
I had both transitions and fotogray lenses on my first attempt at glasses. I drive truck and neither will change to full dark without direct sunlight. So in the cab it was like having no tint. I got 2 pr made and had one set tinted for my best option at the time. It's time for me to go for another evaluation as my right eye doesn't let me read roadsigns til way closer than a while back. Left eye still pretty good. Screws me up with the rifle too. Will probably look into some polarized for sport and driving, they're a real pleasure on the road, and clear for indoors. Good luck in your search for the right answer for yourself.

skeetbum
02-28-2009, 11:27 PM
Gansett, try having them set your bifocal line lower than normal. Helped me a bunch. Mine is about 1/3 lower than normal.

Gansett
03-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Gansett, try having them set your bifocal line lower than normal. Helped me a bunch. Mine is about 1/3 lower than normal.
Thanx skeet. My wife has been on me to try bifocals again and I've been stubborn. At least you made me think about it some more.

Skypilot
03-06-2009, 01:21 PM
With transition lenses, if you wear something like the "Cocoons" or "Fitovers", is your view affected (like making it darker with 2 pair of sunglasses on) or will your view not be affected?
Thanks

toothpick
03-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Welcome to my world! I have trifocal progressives for all around wear; two pairs of reading only glasses, one pair in the bathroom, one pair in my briefcase. My sunglasses are prescription polarized distance vision only Oakleys. I am totally sold on the Oakleys with the amber lenses. My old glasses(I change every other year) are kept in my truck and car. I have lost my primary glasses while on a long fishing trip and had to wear sunglasses at night to get home. I first began with bifocals but soon had to go to progressives. The no line progressives are my favorite. Does everyone have trouble keeping your glasses clean? My wife gets her glasses from the same Optomotrist, and she seldom has to clean hers. I must be leeching body oil on them or something. I keep the sunglasses on a retainer strap around my neck and can just let them fall while I put on my progressives to tie on a hook. I tried keeping both on retainers but they stayed tangled together. One other little item you may face is having a separate set of glasses for computer use. None of my glasses described above are suitable for viewing the computer. The distance is the problem.

03-07-2009, 06:09 PM

I had my bifocul line RAISED to 50% midline. Keeps me from bending my neck back to read the computer or music on a stand.