Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Not a bad afternoon

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not a bad afternoon

Went out sunday afternoon,barometer was falling due to front moving in.Started fishing a pine laydown in 22 ft of water useing 1/16oz minnowhead ,with a 2"chart. squirmin squirt. I caught several throwbacks pretty quick,so increased my retreive speed just a little.These were all caught within the next hour plus a lot more throwbacks! Not to much boat traffic-guess they got off the water early[was bad in the a.m.].It turned out to be an enjoyable afternoon!

Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a pretty pic of some nice fish. Good job.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish,

I will have to remember that. Does speeding up the retrieve work like that often? I mean when your catching small fish. I will give that a shot.
    Come to think of it, I was fishing Wiess Lake this Spring and we were catching a lot of 9 to 9.75" fish that were just short of the 10" minimum and these guys kept catching fish and throwing them in the cooler. I thought they were keeping them without measuring them. Then I noticed that they were trolling slightly faster than the other folks in the area, so I sped up and my results got better.
    LET IT RIP!

Post Thanks / Like

Jfraley,
    I believe retrieving faster will work since I go fishing with my brother all the time and he catches the small ones more often than I do (he reels slower than I)

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jfraley
    Nice fish,

I will have to remember that. Does speeding up the retrieve work like that often? I mean when your catching small fish. I will give that a shot.
    Come to think of it, I was fishing Wiess Lake this Spring and we were catching a lot of 9 to 9.75" fish that were just short of the 10" minimum and these guys kept catching fish and throwing them in the cooler. I thought they were keeping them without measuring them. Then I noticed that they were trolling slightly faster than the other folks in the area, so I sped up and my results got better.
    jfraley, I"ve found that alot of times changing my retreive speed will cause inactive or bigger fish to bite.I think maybe it triggers a competetive drive in them to feed .Just my opinion but i"ve found it works! Wannalearn--Thanks!!

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Daggumit I started to e-mail you Friday and see if you were going fishing last weekend and see if I could maybe go along.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlefarter
    Daggumit I started to e-mail you Friday and see if you were going fishing last weekend and see if I could maybe go along.
    fiddle- your welcome anytime-just let me know.Looks like we"re in for several days of rain,when it clears up some we"ll try to get on them!Havent been in the boat since sunday!!I"m startin to get cabin fever already!!

Post Thanks / Like

If you leave all other variables the same and just increase the retrieve speed you may be making the lures run Shallower than before. If the line type and diamter stays the same, baits wieght and shape stays the same and the lenght of line out stays the same then a faster retrieve speed may make the bait change depth. A crank bait may actually dive down deeper depending on the initial retrieve speeds and the new retrieve speeds.

A spinner bait would run shallower if you increase the retrieve speed.

A jig will run shallower if you increase the retrieve speed.

Increasing the trolling speed is going to put more water pressure on the line and force the line upwards. You know this is happening when you see the angle that the line enters the water changing from straight down to towards the back of the boat.

There is an article about using different retrieves in the special Edition of Crappie World this summer. Summer 2005. I never knew that you could identify that many different retrieves. LOL I know that I have used about 75% of these myself but never called them a different name like the article does.

Quote Originally Posted by jfraley
    Nice fish,

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch Dennis I've Had so much going on, That I have'nt been fishing for crappie since about may 14th, sure wished i could get away just for the day, Man I miss it!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go Dennis. I haven't been out since before the 4th. Seeing your pics has given me the itch.