Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rescue On the Ouachita Finale

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rescue On the Ouachita Finale

Part III Finale

In our earlier conversation, I relayed to Tom exactly where we were located on the lake. We have grown up on Ouachita and know it very, very well. It was rockin’ on about 8:30 pm when I heard the faint whirrrrrr of Tom’s little 25-horse Johnson, and then nothing. Hmmmm. I had told him that I was directly behind and North of Striper Point. But later I found out I was THREE coves North of Striper Point. In the dark, I just THOUGHT I was right behind the Point.

Finally we got a call from him and it was a welcome sound for Gigi fer sur. “Whararya?” “Where I said I’d be.” “Noyurnot.” “Then come on around North and you’ll see the flashlight.” Finally, I saw his boat lights coming from the velvet darkness. As he approached and I could make him out, I took his photo.

Once on location and he quit laughin’ at us and our ‘fancy’ boat that wouldn’t run, we commenced to jump my crankin’ battery to one of his batteries and it would NOT do the trick. I just gave up on attempting to power Fancy back up.

I threw brother Tom the bow line and he secured it to his transom. With a lurch, off we went…about quarter speed. After about four or five minutes, we rounded Striper Point and hit the expected stiff SW wind. Gigi was huddled over the heater next to me with a sweatshirt shielding the heater from the wind and directing a little comfort my way. I was seated at the helm, steering Fancy, keeping her directly behind Tom.

Lil’brother took us along the north bank and at the right time diagonaled across the big water, toward the far-off amber light of the Twin Creeks ramp. It took about thirty minutes, but we made it nonetheless.

Once on dry land, under the street lamp, Tom backed the trailer all the way into the water. With the (very) little juice I had I brought Fancy close to the skids of the submerged trailer. Once I felt her nestle in the skids, and with no big motor to finish the job and push her onto the trailer, I bailed into the cold water, knee deep, attached the 3” wide nylon strap and winched her into position. I hopped onto the tongue of the trailer and Thomas took us methodically out of the water and directly under the street light. What a day. It was now 9:30 pm.

Tom said, “Man, I wouldn’t a missed this for the WORLD. I needed to exercise the boat anyway and really did want a Friday night fishin'’trip and now, here I am!” If it was anyone but my brother, I’d say that was BS. But folks, I know in my heart of hearts that he meant it. He really had a good time (just like meliddleo’self).

I had Gigi take a final photo that I thought most appropriate. Where would I be without my brother, my hero???? He looked at me and said, “We’re even.” “HOW even,” I asked. “Since you helped me skin those two stinkin’ azzed pigs—THAT”S how even!” Okay, so we’re even.

Nobody I know would come 60 miles, in the dead of a February night, come across a 40,000 acre lake, fighting a biting winter wind, hook his 16’ boat to a 21’ barge and tow it clear across the lake—nobody but Lil Brother—my hero and calvary to the rescue!!!! Well Lil’ sis would, but she doesn’t know the lake.

We tidied the boat and Tom launched, heading back to Denby Point, where he had first put in. Gigi and I headed to Denby with Tom's truck keys and Fancy trailing behind. When we arrived, he was already in the harbor awaiting his trailer.

It didn’t take us long to get that beautiful, gleaming little boat of his (the Little Engine that Could) loaded up and locked down. We soon found ourselves on our way to the Hilltop with ample heat coming from under the dash of the GMC. I looked in my rear view mirror, seeing Tom following us, probably still laughin’ his azz off. I glanced aside and watched Gigi as she was drifting off…out of the corner of my eye, just for a moment. Then I realized once again, that His blessings are truly all around me.

I hope you enjoyed this story. It is 100% true and none of the names have been changed to protect the innocent. This evening will be one of those 24 karat memories that will bring smiles for a generation.

Fancy is, once again, up and running. The infamous coffee pot is back in TOM’S boat, not to be used on the pontoon rig again. Fancy is standing tall with all the chicken crumbs and dirt shampooed from her carpet; fully charged batteries [3 month-old faulty cranking battery replaced under warranty] and is (once again) standing at the ready for the next trip to (oh yeah) Beautiful Lake Ouachita.

Thanks for comin’ along. <><
    Last edited by Arkie John; 02-26-2009 at 12:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Really, really enjoyed the entire 3 part story.
    Sorry you had to live through it but that makes you think of all the better times, in the past and those anticipated in the future.
    Glad little bother (the Hero) came to your rescue and that you got the battery exchanged.
    1perchjerker

Post Thanks / Like

1PerchJerker,

Actually, I had a great time in spite of it all! I really did. At no time were we in any real danger, just a little discomfort and very little at that.

I have a fully enclosed 8' X 8' X 7' shelter I could have erected on the boat if I had needed to, and enough fish food to last a couple of days, at least.

But I am glad my little brother came through (mainly for Gigi's sake.)

I'm so glad you enjoyed the story and posted. I was beginning to think that no one reads this stuff. lol

aj

Post Thanks / Like

I, too, enjoyed your rescue story. I believe that anyone that spends alot of time on the water will sooner or later have some sort to trouble...just the nature of the beast. It is wonderful that He has provided us with such a sport that we can enjoy it regardless how the "catching" is. Thanks for the story.

Post Thanks / Like

RTFish

You are MOST welcome. ...and welcome to the forum. It's a fine place to hang out and learn!

I remember when I was in my teens and twenties that I thought the worst thing that could happen to a guy was to get his truck stuck down in the river bottoms and have to walk out. Now, that is the nature of the beast, as well, but as I have grown (much) older, I have realized that the treasure is in the experience. It really is.

I am blessed to have five major lakes within 40 miles of me (three within 20) and as much as I am on the water, yup, it will surly happen sometime. That's why it pays to be good to folks when they are in need. You're correct; if you do it long enough, you will be the one needing the assist. I'm glad you liked the story.

Thanks for posting and (again) welcome to the forum.

aj

Post Thanks / Like

Thx Arkie! Nice Read! I have only been on Quachita once and it is so vast! Probably feels like home to you. I would have been paniked with being stranded all night with my wife and all the I told you soos! I take her to my city lake...I can wade it back to shore. Thx again!
    Was that a bite? Forgot what they feel like!

Post Thanks / Like

Default I mainly fish the western part past Mountain Harbour

Quote Originally Posted by fishmannyj View Post
    Thx Arkie! Nice Read! I have only been on Quachita once and it is so vast! Probably feels like home to you. I would have been paniked with being stranded all night with my wife and all the I told you soos! I take her to my city lake...I can wade it back to shore. Thx again!
    But, I intend to venture out and relearn Cedar-Fourche a little before the spring gets into full swing.

When I was a kid, Daddy and I would frequent Cedar-Fourche and the Blakely's. I really wish I had quizzed him more about it all. He's been gone for over 32 years now, but as the poet says, "...from what he knew of the water and the woods, he wrote on the heart of his boys." ...and THAT, sir, he did.

I have not been in Cedar-Fourche or the Blakely's in my adult life, but when I do go, I will not go alone. He'll be right there with me. <><

aj

Post Thanks / Like

great story john, you sure got a way with words.