PDA

View Full Version : Wasps? Hornets?

labill
07-11-2005, 08:02 PM
I've been chasing these things all over my yard, they dig holes and pile the dirt up like prairie dogs, and they will put you on the run real quick. I've been using wasp spray, which kills them, but I can't keep up with their numbers. Have any of you seen these insects or the piles of dirt in your yard? If you have, did you get rid of them? If so, how? These things are huge and are very aggressive. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know?

The battery is a AA...gives you a good idea how big they are!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/LaBill/100_0305Custom.jpg

This is the nest, I chose this one because I had already killed the the owner and didn't have to worry about getting stung. :( If you look closely in the upper left corner, you'll see a dark hole under the grass.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/LaBill/100_0307Custom.jpg

Any help would be appreciated, folks.

Barnacle Bill
07-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Bream bait!
http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entomology/entfacts/misc/ef004.htm
http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entomology/entfacts/misc/ef004ci2.htm

But if it is these, someone will have to bait my hook for me.

labill
07-12-2005, 12:33 AM
Bream bait!
http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entomology/entfacts/misc/ef004.htm
http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entomology/entfacts/misc/ef004ci2.htm

But if it is these, someone will have to bait my hook for me.

You nailed it, Bill. I tried a search and didn't come up with anything that looked like these wasps. Thanks, I'll talk to an entomologist at LSU for a recommendation for something to treat them with. Appreciate the help. :D
BTW, have you seen these in VA??

fiddlefarter
07-12-2005, 12:53 AM
pour gas in the holes and cover then with a board real quick so they can't get out then run away till they all die. That's how you kill yellow jackets and I think I ended the careers of some of these dudes like that one time. After they all die dig around the nest and dig it up. Its pretty cool.

crap-king
07-12-2005, 06:53 AM
Mean looking devils - I had a wasp pop me sunday - regular wasp not one of these rascals - still hurt like hell

Barnacle Bill
07-12-2005, 07:23 AM
You nailed it, Bill. I tried a search and didn't come up with anything that looked like these wasps. Thanks, I'll talk to an entomologist at LSU for a recommendation for something to treat them with. Appreciate the help. :D
BTW, have you seen these in VA??

I don't think we have that brood in my neck of the woods. We get the other type which aren't near as bad. There was an article in our local paper a few weeks ago about them and according to that they only appear every so many years. Certain types are suppose to be good fish bait but I don't think they were referring to the type you have. At least I'm not willing to try to put one on a hook. :eek:

labill
07-12-2005, 08:24 AM
I thought about doing exactly that, fiddlefarter, but I have to work too hard keeping the lawn looking nice. :) I did it once when I lived in Arkansas to a bumblebee nest, and there was a dead spot there for 2 years, but it sure killed those jokers!! Maybe I used too much? :eek:

crap_king....I've had my share of stings, and they all get my immediate attention, especially the wasps. I'm getting back in shape just running from these big boys. LOL!

shadow
07-12-2005, 09:01 AM
Hey Bill, those look like yellow jackets to me and yes they are very aggresive! I know gas will kill them but if you don't want to mess up your yard try soap and water with maybe some bleach mixed in. I don't know if this will work on yellow jackets but it is suppose to work on wasp (yellow jackets are a species of wasp). Hope this helps.
Shadow

Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
07-12-2005, 10:07 AM
Man, I don't know what those are for sure. Just glad I don't have them here! Those things look like they mate with Sparrows! :p

<,"}/>{ Rippa

Mo'nBack
07-12-2005, 01:09 PM
Man, I don't know what those are for sure. Just glad I don't have them here! Those things look like they mate with Sparrows! :p

<,"}/>{ RippaDown here the mosquitos get the sparrows, so I guess these would go for the turkeys!! :eek: Haven't seen those here Bill, but I believe a 12 gauge modified cylinder with no. 6's would work if you can hit them in the air!! Sorry I can't help more. :confused:

Moose1am
07-12-2005, 01:09 PM
Yea I know them suckers well. I have seen them since I was a kid. I found one when I was young and pulled the stinger out and it was about 1/4" long. Biggest stinger that I have ever seen in my life. I never got stung by one of them until about 11 years ago. I was on a camping trip at Audubon State Park with the then wife. We had walked up to the museum and we were walking back to the camper across this big open field. I felt a sudden horrible pain in my right calf and started yelling that it hurt like hell. My wife thought I was over reacting but man it hurt like nothing I have felt before. Now I have been stung by honeybees, wasps but never by one of these cicada killers before. These things are dangerous. My wife thought it was funny that I got stung and was sort of getting on me for making such a big deal out of this sting. But then she got stung too and it was an entirely different story. She started crying and was in great pain. We hurt for several days after that and the sting site took a while to stop itching.

The thing is we didn't even see them at first. It as only after I got stung that we started looking around to see what had happened that we both saw this big hornet flying around us low to the ground. I suspect that we must have gotten to close to the females nest. We saw a couple of these big hornets flying low over the field as we walked away... or should I say RAN AS FAST AS WE COULD away from the field.

Believe me you don't want to get stung by one of these buggers if you can help it. Never had one get that agressive with me before. I normally gave them a wide birth when I did see them.

fiddlefarter
07-12-2005, 02:50 PM
Try the soap and water with bleach if you want. But if it dont work you better run when you check it. A buddy of mine is allergic to stings so when he kills them he puts on gloves and insulated coveralls and covers his head with something and goes in after them. I bet there's something sold at Home Depot or Lowes or a farm supply that is made for killing ground wasps that won't hurt your lawn you ought to check around.

papa
07-12-2005, 04:55 PM
I have never seen any here, but the soil here is mostly clay in the upstate where I live .I do have a problem with yellow jackets though and have found just a couple of shots of wasp and hornet killer in the hole a night while they are all in there will take care of them. Good luck with them.

P.S. I also served on the USS America in 1974 with VA82

Eddie

ricky
07-12-2005, 08:17 PM
I carry Adolphs Meat Tenderizer with me for wasp or bee stings. Make a paste with water and apply to sting. The sooner the better and dont mix in advance. This will also prevent the itching that comes later.:)

labill
07-12-2005, 09:31 PM
Thanks for all the replys guys. I found a wasp spray that drops them immediately, and I just came in to get on the computer after I sprayed all the active nests with it. There were 6 more nests dug today, and got all of those in addition to the ones I killed yesterday. If you check out the links IBNFSHN posted for me, you will see they are a wasp that kills cicadas exclusively, and puts them in the nest with the unhatched baby to feed on while developing. I dug one up in a flower bed and found it to be true, and also discovered that the nests were quite deep. What surprised me was that there was only one wasp to each tunnel, and appeared to only be one baby. The spray I'm using also has a residual that kills them even several days after application. I'll find the rest tomorrow and hopefully will get them under control when it gets dark.

Eddie....wish I had seen your post earlier, I knew that wasps always went to their nest at dark, but I didn't think of it until earlier today, but thanks for your input. :D I was a radar operator in the E2-B, (also known as the "Hummer.") Spent quite a bit of time in the Gulf of Tonkin, and my rate at departure was ATR-2, squadron VAW 124. Have you heard of the America's watery grave that the Navy sent her to? If your email link is open I'll send you an article about it. Another swabbie on these boards sent it to me just a few weeks ago, and it was the first I'd heard of it. Just let me know if you would like to read it. Last but not least, welcome to crappie.com, glad to have you aboard!

niteman
07-13-2005, 09:28 AM
you might look for a yellow jacket trap to hang in the trees. I got one from walmart last year and it worked fine.

crappiefishergirl
07-14-2005, 07:01 AM
you could try spreading moth crystals on their mounds and around your yard. but if you have dogs....i dunno about it. but it should deter them.

btw, i'm originally from louisiana. our neighbor had these in his backyard. he was rushed to the hospital once cuz they attacked him while mowing his yard. he apparently had a large nest underground. they burned the heck out of the spot, dug a big hole and burned a big bonfire in it. that got rid of them! of course he had a BIG dead spot, but at least the danger was gone. he was like you, didn't want to ruin his lawn, but he didn't get to them enough and they were able to build a pretty heft nest.

just something to think about. i would take this very seriously.

crappiefishergirl
07-14-2005, 07:02 AM
i found this info for you too:

Ground Wasp Pest Control
If ground wasps, Cicada Killers, Yellow Jackets become a liability or pest, individual holes can be treated with Drione Dust or Delta Dust. Since there can be moisture present in the soil, Delta Dust would be best. If areas are too large (making individual dusting of each hole too time consuming) a general purpose insecticide can be broadcast over the areas. Products containing Bifenthrin, Cypermethrin or Permethrin can be used. To power spray large areas, use a hose end sprayer for application. For spot treating individual holes, use a pump type sprayer.
Late afternoon or early evening is best time to treat for hornets, wasps, yellowjackets, Cicada Killers.

labill
07-14-2005, 07:19 AM
i found this info for you too:

Ground Wasp Pest Control
If ground wasps, Cicada Killers, Yellow Jackets become a liability or pest, individual holes can be treated with Drione Dust or Delta Dust. Since there can be moisture present in the soil, Delta Dust would be best. If areas are too large (making individual dusting of each hole too time consuming) a general purpose insecticide can be broadcast over the areas. Products containing Bifenthrin, Cypermethrin or Permethrin can be used. To power spray large areas, use a hose end sprayer for application. For spot treating individual holes, use a pump type sprayer.
Late afternoon or early evening is best time to treat for hornets, wasps, yellowjackets, Cicada Killers.

You're a long way from home, crappiefishergirl! Thanks for the input, I'll give it a try and see how it works. I've been carrying an old tennis racket when I cut the lawn, I think they are sensitive to the loud noise because they do get riled up. Thanks again for the info.

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
07-14-2005, 03:37 PM
I seen something that looked real close to those pics of your's. It was on a golf course. They burrowed in the ground next to a sprinkler head. The groundskeeper told me they were Hornet's not yellow jacket's. Either way, I would put up with a little dead spot in my yard to Kill those good for nothing SOB's :mad:

labill
07-14-2005, 05:59 PM
I seen something that looked real close to those pics of your's. It was on a golf course. They burrowed in the ground next to a sprinkler head. The groundskeeper told me they were Hornet's not yellow jacket's. Either way, I would put up with a little dead spot in my yard to Kill those good for nothing SOB's :mad:

PIGINTHEPIGPEN......Check out the links on the second post by IBNFSHN and compare the pics. They're not yellowjackets or hornets, but are called Cicada Killer Wasps. The first link describes their habits and nesting, and the other is a pic of the wasp, looks like a twin to the pics I posted. And in spite of what the text describes, they are aggressive!! :mad:

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
07-15-2005, 09:39 AM
PIGINTHEPIGPEN......Check out the links on the second post by IBNFSHN and compare the pics. They're not yellowjackets or hornets, but are called Cicada Killer Wasps. The first link describes their habits and nesting, and the other is a pic of the wasp, looks like a twin to the pics I posted. And in spite of what the text describes, they are aggressive!! :mad:

Man ,that's scary. Good luck ;)