Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wasps? Hornets?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wasps? Hornets?

I've been chasing these things all over my yard, they dig holes and pile the dirt up like prairie dogs, and they will put you on the run real quick. I've been using wasp spray, which kills them, but I can't keep up with their numbers. Have any of you seen these insects or the piles of dirt in your yard? If you have, did you get rid of them? If so, how? These things are huge and are very aggressive. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know?

The battery is a AA...gives you a good idea how big they are!

This is the nest, I chose this one because I had already killed the the owner and didn't have to worry about getting stung. If you look closely in the upper left corner, you'll see a dark hole under the grass.

Any help would be appreciated, folks.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bream bait!
    http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entom...misc/ef004.htm
    http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entom...c/ef004ci2.htm

But if it is these, someone will have to bait my hook for me.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Bream bait!
    http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entom...misc/ef004.htm
    http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entom...c/ef004ci2.htm

But if it is these, someone will have to bait my hook for me.
    You nailed it, Bill. I tried a search and didn't come up with anything that looked like these wasps. Thanks, I'll talk to an entomologist at LSU for a recommendation for something to treat them with. Appreciate the help. :D
    BTW, have you seen these in VA??

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

pour gas in the holes and cover then with a board real quick so they can't get out then run away till they all die. That's how you kill yellow jackets and I think I ended the careers of some of these dudes like that one time. After they all die dig around the nest and dig it up. Its pretty cool.
    Last edited by fiddlefarter; 07-12-2005 at 12:56 AM.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Mean looking devils - I had a wasp pop me sunday - regular wasp not one of these rascals - still hurt like hell
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by labill
    You nailed it, Bill. I tried a search and didn't come up with anything that looked like these wasps. Thanks, I'll talk to an entomologist at LSU for a recommendation for something to treat them with. Appreciate the help. :D
    BTW, have you seen these in VA??
    I don't think we have that brood in my neck of the woods. We get the other type which aren't near as bad. There was an article in our local paper a few weeks ago about them and according to that they only appear every so many years. Certain types are suppose to be good fish bait but I don't think they were referring to the type you have. At least I'm not willing to try to put one on a hook.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I thought about doing exactly that, fiddlefarter, but I have to work too hard keeping the lawn looking nice. I did it once when I lived in Arkansas to a bumblebee nest, and there was a dead spot there for 2 years, but it sure killed those jokers!! Maybe I used too much?

crap_king....I've had my share of stings, and they all get my immediate attention, especially the wasps. I'm getting back in shape just running from these big boys. LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

Default yellow jackets

Hey Bill, those look like yellow jackets to me and yes they are very aggresive! I know gas will kill them but if you don't want to mess up your yard try soap and water with maybe some bleach mixed in. I don't know if this will work on yellow jackets but it is suppose to work on wasp (yellow jackets are a species of wasp). Hope this helps.
    Shadow
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Yikes!!!

Man, I don't know what those are for sure. Just glad I don't have them here! Those things look like they mate with Sparrows! :p

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Onnnnes!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
    Man, I don't know what those are for sure. Just glad I don't have them here! Those things look like they mate with Sparrows! :p

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Down here the mosquitos get the sparrows, so I guess these would go for the turkeys!! Haven't seen those here Bill, but I believe a 12 gauge modified cylinder with no. 6's would work if you can hit them in the air!! Sorry I can't help more.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast