Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tiller handle question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tiller handle question

I have a 2002 Merc 50 h.p. 2 stroke with a tiller handle. My question is that are there different angles of tillers available? When I am in my seat it is a stretch to reach the tiller with my left hand and i I have to raise the tiller handle to make a hard right turn to keep from hitting the passenger seat. I have been wondering if they made one with a slight offset. It may be wishful thinking but what they heck. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

My E-Tec handle allows me to adjust it up and down. Left and right or center. That allows me to set it where it needs to be.
    If yours has the add on handle you should be able to look under where its bolted down. There should be a way to tilt it up and move it left or right. Shoot even my Yamaha Tiller had that also.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Mine swings up and down, but I dont think it will swing left or right. Mabey I can get another style tiller for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like your seat is too high for a tiller. Does your boat have a rear deck the seat is mounted on? In my rebuild of an aluminum boat into a tiller, I removed the original back deck and have located my rear seat in two places, one is offset to operate the tiller while underway, the other is for anyone I might have in the boat fishing with me. It's centered to allow them as much room as possible. Since I am by myself most of the time, I won't have to move the rear seat out of the offset position very often, but, still have the option to move it to center for someone else that might be with me.

Seat location is important when using a tiller. Perhaps you could consider an extra pedestal base to operate your rig?
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

I have three pedestals in the rear bench. When I make a hard right turn the tiller hits the left seat, so I have to lift the tiller handle up to miss it. My tiller is set on the left side of the motor and extends staight out. I have about 2 1/2' feet between my back seats. I was trying to find a tiller handle that I could adjust to be right in the center of the seats when going straight. Sorry to be so confusing.. Thanks for any info

Post Thanks / Like

One last try before I give in and just lift the tiller to make a hard right turn. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

on my war eagle the back deck has a track that allows you to slide the seat to any position you want. Maybe put one of these in and that will help.

Sure-Mount Seat Bracket

Post Thanks / Like

Look under the handle where it tilts up. See if the bolts there does not allow you to move the handle over some? As the 50 Hp should have an add on handle. Most allow you to move them left or right.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Mercury dosnt have the options of other motors as far as I know, just one of them things..
    http://steveshandymanservic.tripod.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohRed View Post
    Look under the handle where it tilts up. See if the bolts there does not allow you to move the handle over some? As the 50 Hp should have an add on handle. Most allow you to move them left or right.
    Pete
    I just looked and it looks like there is no way to adjust. Looks like Im gonna have to put the old pipe bender to it. lol.. After using it a few times I think it will work just fine as-is. It would be nice to adjust but I think I can live with it. Thanks for your help..