Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using left over carcases

Post Thanks / Like

Default Using left over carcases

Posted several months ago about what you do with your left over fish carcases and got a few good uses, but one stood out. If any of you have used the carcases for fertilizer in gardens, I would like to hear of your successes. Post pictures if you have them. Going to give my father, who is a big green thumb, a bunch of them to bury a few weeks before planting. What is the process you went through to bury them? Should you bury them before you plant? And so on... Look forward to hearing from you.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepster04 View Post
    Posted several months ago about what you do with your left over fish carcases and got a few good uses, but one stood out. If any of you have used the carcases for fertilizer in gardens, I would like to hear of your successes. Post pictures if you have them. Going to give my father, who is a big green thumb, a bunch of them to bury a few weeks before planting. What is the process you went through to bury them? Should you bury them before you plant? And so on... Look forward to hearing from you.:D
    I know the VARMITS lov'em! GOOD luck!
    Reel foot yankee

Post Thanks / Like

don't have any pictures but makes very good fertilizer. i alway put them deep works best if you going to use a breaking plow throw them in garden and turn under with breaking plow. this will get them down deep enough that the varmits most of the time will leave them alone. make real good tomatoes. put scraps in a plastic bag and freeze till you get ready to use them.
    also good for a sweet corn patch.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Dig a hole and bury under tomatoe plants or whatever. We even dig holes inbetween rows and bury through the growing season. That is when I don't fatten hogs , they eat all the fish scraps.:D
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD View Post
    Dig a hole and bury under tomatoe plants or whatever. We even dig holes inbetween rows and bury through the growing season. That is when I don't fatten hogs , they eat all the fish scraps.:D

Nimrod's advice is dead on. I don't have pics. But I can tell you that I grew up poor (we thought hoeing a garden on our Saturdays was fun as kids - we were too poor to know any different lol).
    Anyway, We fished a lot and the worst whippin that you could get was to let my dad find out that you "threw away" the fish carcasses. These were placed deep between the hills in the tomato row. In later years, I have played with this and treated some plants to the "Trimmings" while depriving others. The ones that had been sweetened with the fish trimmings were healthier, faster growing plants and better/bigger/tastier tomatos. The difference is noticable to say the least.. Don't be afraid to try it..

shuorc is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Put them near my tomato plants and the coyotes had them for supper.
    <*(((((><

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shuorc View Post
    Put them near my tomato plants and the coyotes had them for supper.
    The tomatoes?
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I bury all my fish carcasses in my compost pile along with the shredded leaves and grass clippings. The crappie skeletons dissappear but a catfish skeleton is another thing.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    I bury all my fish carcasses in my compost pile along with the shredded leaves and grass clippings. The crappie skeletons dissappear but a catfish skeleton is another thing.
    Save the bones for Henry Jones 'cause Henry Jones don't eat no meat...
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

add them to my compost pile. I usually turn them under, otherwise, the small is a little rank
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast