Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: line backing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default line backing?

I've been fishing all my life, but recently got heavly into flyfishing for panfish and crappie, I've had my rod for a while it's a shakespere 6. weight combo I bought in a kit at walmart, it came with backing but in my ignorance to the sport I just threw it away, is it really nessacary? And also if you have any pointers for a newibe speak up, thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

The backing is not really necessary, not unless you seriously expect to hook into a big or strong fish. I eventually decided to use backing years back, but, have not yet had a fish on that needed the backing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wwwUncle View Post
    The backing is not really necessary, not unless you seriously expect to hook into a big or strong fish. I eventually decided to use backing years back, but, have not yet had a fish on that needed the backing.
    so really it's extra assurance if a big n starts rippin off line, it dosnt affect performance at all,

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Dude, backing does serve other purposes.
    If you just loaded the line onto your reel, you may have quite a bit of empty space between the point where the line-wraps stop and the edge of the spool. Then when you strip off line to cast, the amount of line that remains on the reel will be creating a very small "effective diameter" of the reel's spool. That will make winding up the line slower than it would be if that "ed' was larger. It will also create larger loops in your line while that is on the reel, making them easier to shake out for initial casts than if the loops were tighter. And there are some other mystical factors involved. In all cases, backing will create more "ed" on your reel.
    And that is 100% good! Use it! Even if you never see it again after you load it onto the reel, it's working for you.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

What sneakypete said.

As for advice, pick up a good casting DVD. Casting is half the fun, and you're missing out if you don't know how. Some good casters with DVD's are:

Joan Wulff
    Mel Krieger
    Lefty Kreh
    Tom White
    Doug Swisher
    Chico Fernandez

I own 'em all (plus a few others), so feel free to ask questions about any of them.

Also, Larry Dahlberg (the "Hunt for Big Fish" guy on OLN) has an excellent bass/panfish DVD. He covers everything: casting, knots, flies, etc.

The LL Bean Fly-Fishing Handbook is an excellent resource, if you're into books.

Check out FAOL, too. There's a whole "Fly Fishing Basics" section and a bunch of good bulletin boards:

Fly Anglers OnLine, Your Complete Internet Flyfishing Resource.

Since you're more of a warmwater guy (like me), you might also like this site:

Warm Water Fly Fishing

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

also, the back helps to create a "bite" onto the reel. if you just attach the fly line to the spool there is possibility for slipping. the backing grips the spool better and so the line isnt going to slip. Backing isnt all the expensive so i would suggest just go buy some more. just some basic 20 pound will do fine.
    raising your voice, the next best thing to being right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by talldude33 View Post
    so really it's extra assurance if a big n starts rippin off line, it dosnt affect performance at all,

Yeah, I stand by what I said, especially if you are only targeting gills and crappie. Fished for years that way (no backing) as did my dad (he was very good at fly fishing), but we only were interested in the bluegills. One thing about starting out- go have fun just trying, then do some reading or dvd viewing, then try again, and again. Too much info right out the gate can spoil the fun, depending on your personality. Be helpful if you knew someone to watch you and give a few tips.

Post Thanks / Like

Too much info right out the gate can spoil the fun,

Very true, but I think it's important to get SOME instruction. A lot of people struggle on their own for years (particularly if they're not in "fly" country and the nearest fly shop is 200 miles away.)

One member posted he'd been trying to learn fly fishing for 20 years. I felt so bad for the guy! It doesn't have to be like that.

Here's an example of HORRENDOUS fly casting:

Fearless -- Five individuals on the adventure of a lifetime. An original reality series.

With a little instruction and practice, you can be much better.

Post Thanks / Like

That was fun to watch, but wish there were ways to caption them for people like me (bad hearing). And, I, personally, do not like to be within casting distance to more than one other fly rod user when out there. :D

Post Thanks / Like

That was fun to watch,

This is more fun -- somebody who actually knows what she's doing:

YouTube - Woman Fly casting